Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: injectors not firing.. again

Fuel Injected!
    I've read all the troubleshooting and you have never mentioned if it has spark or not? The injectors won't fire if the ignition system isn't working right.

The coil has 2 connectors, right? Make sure the pink wires (original harness colors) are connected together by the coil and that both have battery power with the key on. I've seen a number of replacement plugs where the wires were the right colors but in the wrong locations.
    Last edited by lionelhutz; 02-23-2016 at 08:50 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    I just tested to see if it would fire while adding fuel and it didnt even try to start, will a bad coil prevent the injectors from firing or did my new ICM already go bad? I have another laying around that i can test but im not sure if its good or not. I also tested another coil and no change in the condition, so either both coils i tried are bad or its not a coil issue.

And this is the case with my new plugs, the colors are wrong, but i made sure to match the orientation of the new and old plug to make sure i was connecting the correct OEM wires to the new wires.

Fuel Injected!
    As I posted last time, issues with the ignition system will keep the injectors from firing. Always check the ignition system and that you have spark before worrying about the injectors not working.

Do you have 12V on both pink wires connecting to the coil, testing with everything connected? In stock form, the ICM gets power via the 2-wire harness and through the 2 coil connectors to the pink power lead feeding the coil. IF you have a connection problem in that wiring then the ICM doesn't get power and the injectors won't fire.

Fuel Injected!
    I did test power going into the coil but I did not test power going to the ICM. The pink wire did have 12v going to the coil. I also tested the wires coming from the coil to the ICM and they test fine with the DMM. This was testing both ends to make sure there were no breaks, not a voltage test.
    Last edited by 91dime; 02-23-2016 at 11:23 PM.

Electronic Ignition!
    I had an issue just like this no fuel or spark while cranking and it ended up being the ICM. I had replaced the ICM when I installed a new distributor just so that everything was new and the pins in the new ICM weren't making contact with the plug when I plugged it in. I had to bend the prongs a certain way and then the engine fired right up. My truck left me stranded twice because of this and it took me awhile to figure out why and the whole time it was something this simple.

Fuel Injected!
    I read a way to test the pickup coil on the distributor. The test said to put the DMM leads on the plug for the pickup coil and have it set to AC and have someone crank it. The page said it should show a reading around the 1v AC range and when testing this, mine didn't show a reading at all.

Is this the correct test to do?

EDIT: I did an ohm test on the pickup coil and it was around 800 and did not fluctuate with moving the wires. I also tested to see if it was shorted to ground and it was not. Does this mean the pickup coil is good? This test is what a few other pages on the internet said to do and my readings fall in line with a good pickup coil.

Can anyone shed light on this?
    Last edited by 91dime; 02-26-2016 at 10:31 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    It's alive!! so the brand new acdelco ICM completely died. I had an old one laying around and finally had time to hook it up, well it fired up no hesitation.

Thank you guys for your help with this, I guess the ICM's are very picky and should never be ruled out. Lesson learned. The irony is I spent hours searching for a good brand to buy and everyone said acdelco.

Administrator
    Delco is no longer part of GM. Unfortunately it's just another brand name now. I don't know who to trust for ignition components for GM vehicles anymore.