Thread: 94 chevy k1500 tbi tune

Carb and Points!

94 chevy k1500 tbi tune

Hello there friends.. bear with me as I'm new to mods with engines. I have a bone stock tbi 350. I am going to install a summit racing k1103 cam and lifter kit with Z28 valve springs, and possibly roller rockers soon. I hear that the engine will run decent without a tune.. but will not have the full potential. I definitely don't have the money to do a carb conversion right now and want to stay fuel injected. Can anyone help me with this? Just don't have hundreds and hundreds to take it to someone to tune it.

Are you up to speed with TunerPro RT? http://www.tunerpro.net/downloadApp.htm

dave w

Carb and Points!
    I am not.. I know very little of tuning beyond the basics of a carb. I know tiny bits about diesel tuners and all the plug and play crap but that's about it.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwentland53008 View Post
    Hello there friends.. bear with me as I'm new to mods with engines. I have a bone stock tbi 350. I am going to install a summit racing k1103 cam and lifter kit with Z28 valve springs, and possibly roller rockers soon. I hear that the engine will run decent without a tune.. but will not have the full potential. I definitely don't have the money to do a carb conversion right now and want to stay fuel injected. Can anyone help me with this? Just don't have hundreds and hundreds to take it to someone to tune it.
    That is the 214/224 grind if memory serves me correctly and with 1.6s it will be more like 217/227. Not going to run well on the stock chip, IMO. Even the 204/214 Running 1.5 rockers throws the stock tune off a good bit but still ran well. I put a pair of 305 HO heads on my 355 TBI with the 204/214 Mellings LT1 cam and it felt like it could have pulled a house from its foundation in my old G20 Van.

Is the block roller cam ready?

I have use the production F/Y-car LT1 and 1996 LT4 corvette cams with TBI and had large power gains with perfect driveability.

I am not.. I know very little of tuning beyond the basics of a carb. I know tiny bits about diesel tuners and all the plug and play crap but that's about it.
    The heartbeat of tuning a fuel injection system is the tuning software. I would not attempt to build / assemble an engine without a torque wrench; like wise I would not spend $$$ on modifying a fuel injection engine without learning the proper tuning tools (software). I think back to when I built my first engine, I had lots of things to learn. Tuning a fuel injection system provides many opportunities to learn new things, just like building an engine for first time provides many new things to learn. The downside to learning how to tune a fuel injection system ... there is not a factory manual on how to "Tune" the chip.

It's an internet MYTH that has been BUSTED over and over, knowing the engine specs does not provide enough information for a "Tuned" chip.

dave w

Carb and Points!
    I don't know if its roller ready or not.. I'm a decent parts replacement mechanic but I'm new to actually doing any mods or upgrades. I looked at the lt1/lt4 cams and I want more lift. I'm not against tuning it myself.. just want to make sure I get ahead of the game so when the motor is done and in.. I can begin with a bit more confidence. I am definitely willing to get a set of rockers to gain more with a tune.. and will be doing headers eventually as well. What would you say I should angle for in rockers... as I've already got the cam coming from summit. I'm definitely on a super tight budget and that's why I went with the cam I chose. Great reviews and so on.

Carb and Points!
    Totally on the same wavelength dave w. I laugh when people don't understand why you use torque wrenches. I've helped on a few mild builds but it's definitely the first time it's my build

Fuel Injected!
    I don't know if its roller ready or not.. I'm a decent parts replacement mechanic but I'm new to actually doing any mods or upgrades. I looked at the lt1/lt4 cams and I want more lift. I'm not against tuning it myself.. just want to make sure I get ahead of the game so when the motor is done and in.. I can begin with a bit more confidence. I am definitely willing to get a set of rockers to gain more with a tune.. and will be doing headers eventually as well. What would you say I should angle for in rockers... as I've already got the cam coming from summit. I'm definitely on a super tight budget and that's why I went with the cam I chose. Great reviews and so on.
    No real reason to go crazy on lift, especially with the TBI heads. They work really well in the 0.430-0.470" lift range, work great with a single pattern grind and enjoy a tight LSA.

Carb and Points!
    That's why I chose a relatively mild cam it's only around .468.