Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: help with vortec and 4l80 swap please

Fuel Injected!
    i figured out the fuel pump wiring also. i had one wire that was cut and a connector the PO disconnected on the firwall side behind cylinder 7. must be for the tank selector switch.
    now all i gotta do is bump the engine to tdc and set the distributor. and get my last fuel parts for the truck finally

Fuel Injected!
    You can use just the ISS on the trans and the VSS on the transfer case for speed inputs. the 4LO switch tells the pcm the make a couple of changes to the transmission line pressure and shift speeds. You should have a NV241/243 I think if it's 92. I would recommend adding a toggle switch to tell the computer whenever you are in 4wd. Your transmission will thank you and consequently so will your wallet. Just use the DRAC from the donor vehicle and wire up the 4wd switch and go.

Buddrow
    If it don't fit force it, if it don't force fit f&%@ it!

Fuel Injected!
    I put the motor and trany in a 87 so it has a np208 the 92 did have a 241 but drivers drop for the ifs.
    So the thing with it is can I use the OSS on the tranny for the vss? And I think gm did something with a drac on the back of the speedo housing. There will be some more investigating once I finally get it road worthy

Fuel Injected!
    http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=700011
    Here is a link to the shop manuals. They have Really have come in handy

Only wire I'm still not sure about is the oil pressure gauge. I know what it is on the 7060 harness but I'm pretty sure that it's missing on the 7747 harness.

Fuel Injected!
    update everything seems to be working as it should. starts hard tho and doesnt idle very good, but should be able to get that fixed once i get to tuning it. havent drove it yet since i still gotta get the shifter linkage fabricated and put the rear brakes in

Fuel Injected!
    with the vortec heads what have you guys found for a good inital/ base timing to set the distributor to?

Fuel Injected!
    So finally got back to work and was able to order my ostrich, how do I hook it up and install it? Was reading the instructions on moates website but my chip in the 7060 computer is different then what there's shows, mine was the long and skinny adapter into the 2 chips instead of the 1 chip into the board. Wondering if I'm going to need to get a adapter or not

You need a G1 adapter and the Ostrich ribbon cable plugs in place of the EEPROM.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

See attached pics.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fuel Injected!
    dave that must not be a 7060 computer in your picture? mine only has the vertical pins to install the adapter in.

edit: nevermind i see how its plugged in, was having a brain fart been a long day
    Last edited by jamiewilson; 05-06-2016 at 03:19 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    update so i finally was able to start driving the truck last week. all my wiring has worked good. tranny shifts as it should using the oss on the tranny, so far i have been able to get the idle and into the midrange tuned in decent, the part to full throttle is still off but hoping i can get it dialed in the rest of the way with the aldl cable coming hopefully the first part of the week.

i do have a little hard cold start to the thing right now that i would like to fix also. but it only happens on the first start of the day so just a minor problem right now.
    for the guys that have tuned in a vortec head swap what have your spark tables been looking like? im running a lt1 timing table i found online. ive taken 4 degrees off the whole table and seems better. i tried a vortec timing table but didnt seem to run nearly as nicely with it compared to the lt1.

Fuel Injected!
    been getting the truck more and more dialed in, im still getting a studder/ almost miss in the higher rpm 3600+ but only does it if youre around 90% throttle. wide open is doing good. so thats still stumping me.

i have been doing some datalogging and im a little rich 116-120 int cruising between 50 and 80 mph. also timing is doing alright. get a few knock counts randomly in the higher rpm