Thread: New, 4.3L tuning in my future

Carb and Points!

New, 4.3L tuning in my future

Hi, I'm new here. I joined to work on/learn tuning for my 4.3l.

I swapped a 2001 vortec block/heads in place of a 1990 tbi motor (willys 3a project). Edelbrock 2114 with tbi adapter and all the tbi stuff. The newer vortec motor on the stock tbi tune needs some help (lean mostly I'm guessing). I am debating ordering a chip or setting myself up to do my own. It seems like DIY is the way to go and the education alone is worth the entry price for me. Any suggestions? Does anyone on this site do chips? I'm not real confident in sending it off to tbichips with all the reviews and the feedback I have gotten from him. It sounds like mail order is a tough way to go. THoughts, suggestions?

Now I will continue the reading. Thanks.

Cole

The first step to a DIY chip is coming up to speed with TunerPro RT: http://www.tunerpro.net/downloadApp.htm

I use TunerPro RT and my Microsoft Excel spreadsheet to figure out if an engine is running rich or lean. See attached screen shot.

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Thank you. I have been doing lots of reading the last few days. I have some questions that will help guide my reading.

I was planning on downloading TunerPro and getting my cable so I can data log. I will need a chip at some point so was considering buying a package deal with everything to save a little money. What are my options to get from data logging to chips on my own? Also, does anyone here do chips for people? I would like to get something close to work from instead of starting from scratch if I can. With the lean condition and hot-looking spark plugs I'm worried about running it much even for data logging. Thanks for the welcome, hopefully I won't ask too many dumb questions and will be able to search my way to some answers. I can't be the first one to run a similar combo.

Another question, many mixed reviews on the 4.3l 45pph injectors. It seems that they should be adequate for my near 200hp engine right? I'm not running a very built motor. Vortec heads, 415/429 and 191/195 on the factory vortec cam. Some guys end up trying bigger injectors, but it seems to maybe be a bandaid for improper tuning.

Thanks.
    Cole

Which TBI computer are you using 1227747 or 1228062?

dave w

Carb and Points!
    I have 1228062
    Are the computers interchangeable?

Both the 1227747 & 1228062 computers were used on the 4.3 V6.

Here is a gearhead-efi link to information on the 1228062: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-4E

Here is a gearhead-efi link to information on the 1227747:http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-42

The 1228062 and 1227747 computers are NOT interchangeable. The 1228062 and 1227747 wiring harnesses ARE interchangeable, but I would still check the harness to make sure. The 1227747 is better supported, and the most common TBI computer. I would recommend using a 1227747 computer if your budget will allow the additional expense.

Usually the stock 4.3 TBI injectors will work with the camshaft specs you posted. Depending on how the tuning goes, it's possible you might need to install a 14 PSI or 18 PSI spring in your fuel pressure regulator. http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-TBI-14psi...-/251745318552 or http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-TBI-220-1...-/251746442889

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Ok, thank you. So looking at the wiring diagrams for the two different computers, it would appear that they are interchangeable, meaning I could put the 747 in my vehicle without changing anything. I'm guessing you mean they are not interchangeable internally, like the chips are different or the boards are different. Basically you are advising me to get a 1227747 computer and plug it in place of my current computer and go from there on the tuning process? I understand I think. I could probably pull one from a wrecking yard without too much expense if it is worth it in the long run. Thank you for the links.

What is the best set up for data logging? Tunerpro as you mentioned? I see many options in my searching. Everything from using a scan tool, to a laptop with tunerpro or some other software, to a full programmer set up. It appears most guys on here use Tunerpro and laptop. I read quite a bit of the FAQ on thirdgen and the newbie tuning stuff. Very helpful on the process. Thanks again for answering questions you've probably answered before.

I use TunerPro RT and a laptop.

The pic below show the two chips used in a 1227747 computer. The smaller chip is the netres chip. Hopefully you will find a 1227747 that will have the correct 4.3 V6 netres chip.

dave w