Thread: Sartup help- tbi 383

Electronic Ignition! FirstGenThree's Avatar

Sartup help- tbi 383

So new to tbi tuning. Recently bought APU1 setup from moates with tunerpro rt. Have experience with efi live on newer vehicles. My logic says to read my stock tune, evaluate what tables exist with parameters I need to change to have an accurate base tune (displacement, injector size etc) then run the vehicle and do some datalogging, make changes from there. This seems to be a bit more challenging than I am used to.

My setup: '92 C2500 tbi 383, vortec heads, short duration roller cam, 9c1 injectors. Stock computer is 6299 I believe with AWLB/ 7706 chip. Truck is 700R4 also. In all of the links between here, tunerpro and moates I havent seen any 7706 chips, nor does AWLB match my trucks setup. Once I solved my usb driver issues, I thought I dl'd my stock chip. I believe I have the wrong mask or xdf file, because when looking at my ve table, it jumps all over eg: 13-45-34-96-82 when reading across an rpm range. Do I need to search for the proper mask or simply download a stock 5.7L/700R4 tune, change my BPW for my new displacement/injector size and burn one of the chips sent with my APU1 ? I have spent a vast amount of time searching all the help links on moates and tunerpro and just end up wasting (so to speak) time reading articles unrelated to the task at hand. I'm learning alot but not about how to tune my own truck.

Any help is much appreciated, what direction do I need to go? Find a close enough tune and work through it or figure out how to read my stock chip and start with that?

Using $99 xdf currently.
    Last edited by FirstGenThree; 02-02-2016 at 06:58 AM.

AWLB is used with the 299 ecm. Make sure you pick the proper chip when reading your original bin off the chip. If I remember correctly, the 299 ecm is a C3 and uses a 4k chip. I will be able to look at everything this eve when I get off work and possibly be able to help you more.

Administrator
    OBDII software generally does this step for you. The xdf needs to match the calibration mask. AWLB is for a 92 C/K truck, 5.0, 700R4, California emissions with a 6299 ecm and it can be found here. The mask is $99. So it sounds like you have the right xdf and a reasonable starting point. A 5.7 might be a slightly better base cal but for just getting a look around yours should work fine. It's possible that you have a bad read from your calibration so you could try comparing your file with the one linked above.

Tuning really is a big process of trial and error. Start with as many correct values as you can get: Set the injector constant properly, set the injector voltage corrections and small pulsewidth corrections, set the reference angle to match the distributor, try to find a reasonably close spark table and possibly a VE table, then start the truck. Use the scantool / datalog software combined with a WBO2 if you have it and begin to make corrections. The biggest challenges are 1) knowing how to interpret what the engine is telling you, and (2) determining what tables and values need to be adjusted. At this point I'd say you should focus on getting familiar with the tools you're going to use so see if you can get TP to display your calibration properly.

Agreed, my focus is getting the software side of things setup properly, mainly I want to get my stock chip to read, and either emulate from there or burn my stock tune plus minor changes to one of the provided chips before I do anything else.

I tried several bins from your link and still have erratic tables so something is still off. I'm also thrown off, my stock chip is AWLB/7706 and is original to a '92 5.7/700r4 Fed truck. I'm sure this is the stock pcm/chip from this truck. Are the files in your above link merely ones people have shared?

I'm going to delete all my bins and xdf's since they were all downloaded from here or other easy to find links and start over. Going to re-read the tutorial here for Tunerprort.

Also as far as selecting the proper chip when trying to read my stock bin, there was only one that worked at all, is there any reading on identifying what to select when reading or burning a chip thats not on the list?

Administrator
    You don't have to delete your files. Use Bithoist to check to see if they are stock or if they have been altered. You can also download the Tunercat Checksum utility to see if the file is valid. Load the file and compare the calculated checksum with the stored version.

The AWLB on this site is incorrectly labelled. It is for a 5.7 engine. I'll have to change that. Please see the attached screenshots of Tunerpro displaying the spark and fuel tables from AWLB on this site, and of the results from Bithoist checking a file. Feel free to upload your file for comparison to what's here.

Your chip is probably a 2732 or 2732A. The complete calibration ID, also known as a BroadCast Code or BCC, is AWLB7066. If you pick a different chip then you'll get strange results. Do you have a picture of the chip or can you see any numbers on the surface of the chip itself?

Deleting the files was just to help me stay organized. I did the 7747 stuff with $42 per the tutorial and got realistic tables. I just can't get logical values from my chip. Bithoist says mask ID unknown. I grabbed a random bin from the site and it brought up info as in your attachment. I tried the CATS program and get an error of invalid file size. I tried reading my chip with every different selection in the flash N burn program (except the ford options) and checked each with CATS, all error. I assume the 2732a(read only) is the right one.

On the top of my chip it reads: Delco
    AWLB
    AWLB

and on the underside: EB4 (F)
    ZX01A1CU
    AC52

Don't see any buttons for attachments? Is that due to 'quick reply' vs 'reply' ? I'll post this then try to add my file. Also I think I may just find a tune from here and burn it to my extra chip. I'm going to have to do that eventually anyways if I want permanent changes to my tune. I am interested to know if im doing something wrong or if I just have a bad chip though. Thanks for all your help so far.

Administrator
    You have to click on "go advanced" to get the attachments buttons. Your file should be 4k large. I scanned the flash n burn manual and it looks like 2732a is the only right option. You can't burn a 2732A chip with this hardware though. There aren't many other hints in the manual as to what might be happening. If you get the file posted maybe we can figure out what's happening.

Sigh.... got it figured out. For all the help and support, there are some basics missing. Didn't have the buffer ending address changed. I don't even want to post this but it may help someone else, and help me remember my share of input for the help pages.

I know I can't burn this chip but now that I have read it accurately, I can make changes and burn to the new blank chips that came with the apu1.

Administrator
    +2 points for figuring it out. Congrats.