Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: V8 Astro TBI

Fuel Injected!
    Now is where I'm a little (or a lot!) lost. I have the Burn 2 hooked up and Tunerpro downloaded. I'm able to open some files I downloaded from here but not sure what file I need. Is the BIN file and the XDF file two separate files I need? I found a BIN file for a 305/700R4 in the file list but its not an XDF file and it looks like you have to choose an XDF to open it?

Basically what I want to do is set up a 307 using 350 injectors and turn off the EGR so from what I understand I need to start with a 305/700R4 BIN file, do some adjusting on the fuel table (VE tables?), turn off the code 32 flag, and set the EGR on/off temps to about 300 to keep it from coming on?

Could one of you kind souls help me out as to what file(s) I need to start with and where to make the fuel adjustments?

The Burn 2 is a tool for "Burning Chips". The Burn 2 will "Burn" a .bin file into the Chip, that's it. If you are using a 27SF512 "Flash Chip" you will need to erase the Flash Chip before "Burning".

TurnerPro is an "Editor" for .bin files (Chip File), so parameters like spark tables, fuel tables, emission parameters and dozens of other parameters can be changed or "Edited".

The .xdf file is similar to "Make / Model / Year, except the computer part number is used from the specific Make / Model / Year. Select the correct definition file ".xdf" for the computer part number .bin file you want to change or "Edit" The 1227747 TBI ECM used $42 .xdf file. See attached $42 .xdf.

After opening TunerPro:
    From the XDF Menu - select the .xdf file you want to use.
    From the File Menu - select the .bin file you want to "Edit".

I usually re-name the .bin file I edit using "Modified" in the .bin file name. For example "Modified ASDU_BPW-128_Cop-Car Injectors_No-Emissions_Scout II 345" so I can remember what I was working on and what changes I made.

dave w
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    The Burn 2 is a tool for "Burning Chips". The Burn 2 will "Burn" a .bin file into the Chip, that's it. If you are using a 27SF512 "Flash Chip" you will need to erase the Flash Chip before "Burning".

TurnerPro is an "Editor" for .bin files (Chip File), so parameters like spark tables, fuel tables, emission parameters and dozens of other parameters can be changed or "Edited".

The .xdf file is similar to "Make / Model / Year, except the computer part number is used from the specific Make / Model / Year. Select the correct definition file ".xdf" for the computer part number .bin file you want to change or "Edit" The 1227747 TBI ECM used $42 .xdf file. See attached $42 .xdf.

After opening TunerPro:
    From the XDF Menu - select the .xdf file you want to use.
    From the File Menu - select the .bin file you want to "Edit".

I usually re-name the .bin file I edit using "Modified" in the .bin file name. For example "Modified ASDU_BPW-128_Cop-Car Injectors_No-Emissions_Scout II 345" so I can remember what I was working on and what changes I made.

dave w
    Ok, so open this xdf file, open the 5.0/700 r4 bin for the ecm, edit and save the bin, then burn just the bin to the chip or burn the bin and the xdf to the chip?

Burn the ".bin flle" to the chip.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    OK, I followed the direction from Moates, erasing the chip first and verifying the file size (4k), Buffer start-end offsets ( 000000->000FFF) And the Chip start-end offsets (00F000->00FFFF). The chip orientation in the burner and the ECM is correct. I went through the "Program chip" and "Verify" commands and it shows "Success". But when I start the van, it runs rough and I have a rapidly blinking CEL. I tried it with two different new chips from Moates; same result.

Anyone run into that before? I sent an email to Moates Support but I thought id see if anyone here has had to fix that issue.

Fuel Injected!
    The rapid flash indicates the ECM is not reading the PROM. For some reason, it is difficult to get those adapter sockets to work properly without being soldered in place by Moates.

Fuel Injected!
    I used this ZIF socket and had a local electronics shop that one of my friends works at install it for me.
    http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...y535-28-526-10
    I dont do much fine soldering so I figured I'd let someone who does install it. I guess I'll have them re-check it.

Fuel Injected!
    Those should work. I tried soldering one of those type in myself, and never could get it to work. Had to go back to the stock computer and have a friend burn a different prom that would fit in the stock socket.

Fuel Injected!
    Make sure that the ZIF socket pin #1 is in the correct position on the ECM board. Also make sure that you are putting the PROM in correctly also.

I burned out a 2732 one day by installing the eprom into the ZIF incorrectly one day. Fortunately, I have plenty of extra of them.

I'm not sure of the Moates Burn 2, but with the eprom reader/writer that I use, it will tell me if the chip is bad without risk to the writer.

If the Burn 2 is the same, then try verifying the eprom you have, if you get a good response, then I'd guess your ZIF socket to have bad solder joints to the ECM, if a bad response, then it's possible the ZIF socket is installed 180 degrees out or you installed the chip 180 degrees out.

Fuel Injected!
    Attachment 10465Does that look right?

Fuel Injected!
    Yes that does.

Verifying that at least prevents you from physically burning out the chip as I know that is what happens to the 2732's if they are installed backwards.

I've thought about doing the conversion to use the 512 chips, but since I have a Moates Ostrich and the ability to erase and burn my own, I haven't.

Fuel Injected!
    Were the correct legs on the ZIF tied together? I believe this needs to be done to make it work if you're not using the Moates adapter.
    1973 K-5 Blazer, TBI 350, TH400, 1 ton axles & 38" SSRs'
    1975 280Z, TBI 350, 700R4
    1953 M-38A1, TBI Buick 231
    1951 Ford Panel, 5.3 with 4L80E

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by fastacton View Post
    Were the correct legs on the ZIF tied together? I believe this needs to be done to make it work if you're not using the Moates adapter.
    Yeah, I pulled it apart and checked the ZIF connections and everything looks good including the 5 pins that get tied together.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by S3TPI View Post
    The rapid flash indicates the ECM is not reading the PROM. For some reason, it is difficult to get those adapter sockets to work properly without being soldered in place by Moates.
    Moates will solder in a socket if you send it to them?

Fuel Injected!
    Yes, you can send them the whole computer, and they will solder in a socket and test it. They used to charge around 30 bucks, maybe more now, I'm sure.