Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: V8 Astro TBI

Fuel Injected!
    That's what I did, sent it to Moates. hopefully this cures the issue when I get it back.

Fuel Injected!
    That's what I did, sent it to Moates. Hopefully this cures the issue when I get it back. $68 for the socket, install, and shipping; not too shabby.

What socket is Moates installing? Modified 28 pin ZIF, so you can use a 27SF512 Flash Chip (EEPROM)? Standard 24 pin DIP socket? Are you able to Burn 2732a EPROM's? The Moates.net Burn 2 DOES NOT Burn 2732a EPROM's.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    What socket is Moates installing? Modified 28 pin ZIF, so you can use a 27SF512 Flash Chip (EEPROM)? Standard 24 pin DIP socket? Are you able to Burn 2732a EPROM's? The Moates.net Burn 2 DOES NOT Burn 2732a EPROM's.

dave w
    I think it's called an E3? They said it will work with a burn 2 and the chips I'm using. The chips were burning fine, just couldn't get them to read.

Quote Originally Posted by falconvan View Post
    I think it's called an E3? They said it will work with a burn 2 and the chips I'm using. The chips were burning fine, just couldn't get them to read.
    Maybe this is what Moates is doing for you? http://support.moates.net/g2-adapter-installation/

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Maybe this is what Moates is doing for you? http://support.moates.net/g2-adapter-installation/

dave w
    Yeah, I believe so. Cant understand why we couldn't get that ZIF to work; everything read OK with an ohmmeter but I couldn't get it to read a burned or a factory chip. Hopefully this works.

Fuel Injected!
    Must be my lucky day. I got the ECM back from Moates today. I burned a chip with the BIN file Dave sent me (Thank you, Dave), stuck it in, and it runs awesome with no CEL light.

Fuel Injected!
    Glad that worked. I don't know what kind of magic they do there, but it is worth it.

Fuel Injected!
    Yep, well worth $65 to have the issue solved.

Fuel Injected!
    Just checking in, still running great with no issues although it could use a few more ponies. Got a deal on some Vortec heads and thinking of swapping them on with a better breathing intake.

Fuel Injected!
    It's time for the shop truck to get some love. I actually put it out there for sale a few times thinking about going to a Suburban but all I got were some ridiculously lowball offers so it's staying put. So I'm just going to drop on the new set of Vortec heads along with an aluminum intake and headers, swap the auto trans for a 5 speed, new shocks all the way around, and get the A/C working. I've got a few residential A/C replacements lined up to do in the next two weeks and then she's going in the garage. I think I'm taking this one on the Power Tour in June; I'm planning on doing the Saturday-Wednesday stretch from Kansas City to Gateway International Racetrack which will put me about 45 minutes from home. Not sure if I'll have to retune as the Vortec heads will raise the compression ratio by a point? Also wondering if I should go to a heated 02 sensor, it stumbles a bit when the engine is cold and has a sooty tailpipe but runs great as soon as it reaches operating temp.

The only time I did not have to retune a replacement engine, was when I replaced a COMPLETELY Stock engine with another COMPLETELY Stock engine.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    That's what I figured; probably a good time to get my data logging set up as long as I've got it torn apart.

Fuel Injected!
    So a friend of mine says,"You're going to go through all the hassle of pulling the engine out of this thing to put on new heads, intake, headers, a manual trans swap and your going to put the 307 back in when you have a roller cam vortec 350 sitting there that just needs a few parts and will give you probably 100hp more?" Ok, guess that doesn't make much sense. So I ordered the engine rebuild kit and a GM Performance roller cam today and got the block cleaned up. vortec.jpg

Fuel Injected!
    Got my engine put together and installed along with the clutch pedal for the manual trans swap. Hopefully be ready for a test fire in a week or so.
    Attached Images Attached Images