Thread: New weekend warrior

Carb and Points!

New weekend warrior

How's it going everyone? I bought a 93 full size blazer on Craigslist for some dumb reason! I'm wanting to put a new motor in. Nothing major as far as performance goes just more than the stock tbi. When I bought it I did not understand the TBI System. Before I buy a stock crate 87-95 drop in engine is there another route that I might take to get more than 210hp?

I thought about the vortec crate engine with the tbi voetec / intake and stock throttle body. everything I've read talks about a custom tune and to stay away from mail order chips. Seems like moates or dynamicefi is the place to start? Is there anyone close to Lubbock Texas that might be able to do this? I talked to a performance shop but they wanted like a grand to tune it. I'm not building a race car or a monster mudder. Just looking for something a little better than stock. Is there a recipe for this so to speak?

Is this even a good idea? Any better ideas? Can an avg joe tune for this I looked at dynamic efi website and I didn't really understand any of it hahaha.

The old saying, "If you want something done right ... Do It Yourself".

You will need some hardware and software.
    Hardware: ALDL Cable ($65), Chip Programmer ($85), Chip Adapter Board ($35), and a chip ($5).

Most members here use TunerPro RT software to tune with. a suggested $39 donation.

Practice tuning with your old engine, then decide if tuning is for the avg joe.

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Dave thanks for getting back to me I never considered tuning the original engine in it to practice hahaha. I will thank you!
    Last edited by Rookiedude08; 01-30-2016 at 06:19 PM.

Start out with TunerPro RT first to get a few data logs (about $100 with ALDL cable and the suggested $39 donation for TunerPro RT). Some TunerPro RT users hold off on the donation until they get TunerPro RT figured out. After you get a few data logs, you have the option to invest more $$ and time to do the actual tuning.

One possible source for an ALDL cable is:http://www.aldlcable.com/products/aldlobd1u.asp

dave w

Carb and Points!
    I've been watching YouTube videos on tuner pro.... Seems reasonable once you figure out the navigation of things. I've looked dynamic efi where you can change things while the engine is running does this work good? If I got in a bind with it could I find someone that could remotely access my computer and assist? Seems like you Find a bin that is close to your application and then use that as your starting point?

You have 16197427, so there is the option of using the Moates.net Ostrich 2.0 (http://www.moates.net/ostrich-20-the...eed-p-169.html) and do virtually the same kind of tuning with the engine running like Dynamic EFI does. With the Ostrich 2.0, you DO NOT need a chip programming hardware!! The Ostrich 2.0 is programmed with TunerPro RT!!

Learn - TunerPro RT
    Breath - TunerPro RT
    Live - TunerPro RT

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Ok I'll check it out!!!!! Thank you for the direction!

By the way - Dynamic EFI uses TunerPro RT also.

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Dave I will def look at both. Are there any custom tuners that are located in Texas?

Quote Originally Posted by Rookiedude08 View Post
    Dave I will def look at both. Are there any custom tuners that are located in Texas?

Board Member, Fast355 is in Euless TX.

dave w

Carb and Points!
    I will keep that in mind if I get in a bind. Will a custom tune help a bone stock tbi?