Thread: Newbie

Carb and Points!

Hi. I bought a 93 K2500 5 speed with a Vortec 5.7, Comp Cam, RV Morse modified TB, and Harris Performance chip last year. Of course, I didn't know much about the engine until I got it home. It ran like crap and it took me a lot of digging to find a semi build thread elsewhere. I turned up the fuel pressure and it started running better, but it still pings under load.

I bought a BURN2, G2X adapter and a couple of chips from Moates but I'm having trouble finding a definition file for my ECM - it's the 1199 (16171199), originally with the BDPF bin. I found the $9A that said it was for 93 5.0/5.7 5 speed trucks, but when I changed the main spark advance table (retarded all cells by 2 degrees), I got more pinging.

Does anybody have any suggestions for this ECM?

Thanks

Fuel Injected!
    Welcome to the forum first and foremost.

Are you using Tunerpro to log data? It will be beneficial to do so. With that said, where exactly did you remove spark from? What MAP, what RPM, across the board? From what I understand the Vortec heads like more timing than a conventional sbc head but just for giggles, how much advance does your bin show being applied? How it the distributor set? If it was set advanced any after engine work, it could be skewing your readings because the pcm thinks it set as X degrees and it is physically set at Y degrees. Can you post the bin you are using and the mask as well so we can have a look and maybe provide better help. Could possible be a lean fuel issue or at least a contributing factor. You mentioned raising the fuel pressure and it helped performance, if you can put a gauge on it that'd be great. Start there and we'll see what shakes loose.

Buddrow
    If it don't fit force it, if it don't force fit f&%@ it!

Carb and Points!
    Yeah, I've data logged with Tuner Pro RT. Most of the pinging occurs from 1600-3000 RPM with ~4.5V on the MAP sensor. I'll post the bin tomorrow, but spark advance ranged from 16 or so degrees up to a max of I believe 36 I'm the same RPM band, from one end of the MAP range to the other. BLMs were 122-125 in the range that was pinging

I retarded the spark 2 degrees across the board, and fuel pressure is around 18 PSI

Carb and Points!
    Here are the BIN and definitions I'm using.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fuel Injected!
    I'll plug that info in and take a look. Stay tuned...

Buddrow
    If it don't fit force it, if it don't force fit f&%@ it!