Thread: Opinions on this Wiring Harness Swap Guide?

Opinions on this Wiring Harness Swap Guide?

Planning on removing a Chevy 2002 6.0/4L80e drive-line in the near future and was exploring the needs for a standalone harness and found this manual on eBay...looks decent...any opinions?

Thanks

LS1 LS2 LS6 LS7 STAND ALONE WIRING HARNESS BOOK MANUAL GUIDE ENGINE SWAP PCM 5.7

eBay link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS1-LS2-LS6-...8qfmAQ&vxp=mtr

Maybe some members know, maybe some members don't know, I build custom LSx harnesses.

Re-purposing a used harness saves money, when the project owner knows what their doing... time vs. money.
    Re-purposing a used harness limits harness lengths... adding wire adds time / cost.

From a business stand point, cookie cut harness can save the project owner time and money?
    Cookie cut harness, can fit most applications?

Do you want a cookie cut harness or custom harness?

dave w

In a nutshell don't want to put anyone out of business or get into the harness business, simply want to build my own harness. Don't smoke or drink, am retired, and have the time and equipment to do it:-)

Fuel Injected!
    If the destination vehicle for this drivetrain combination has the hood clearance to run the truck intake manifold, and you have unlimited time, then this is something that you could definitely do for yourself.

The 2002 truck wiring harness that you are beginning with is bolted to the top of intake manifold (under the engine cover) - this is what makes switching to a car intake (LS1 / LS6) a significant rewiring challenge.

After the main wiring harness emerges from under the engine cover, it is retained to the top front area of the driver side valve cover (large plastic clip). From this point to the PCM connectors is about 3 feet (once you straighten out the harness a little). The OEM wiring for fuses, relays, DLC Port, Speedometer, Tach, etc. is roughly in the middle of this 3 foot length of harness.

This OEM orientation will allow the PCM to mounted in the engine compartment, on the driver side of the vehicle, on the frame, inner fender, or near the radiator (depending on under hood component spacing).

For a cleaner look (and a more weather proof installation) the wiring for fuses, relays, DLC Port, Speedometer, Tach, etc. can be relocated (not difficult, just a little time consuming). I run all this wiring back up the main trunk, along the top of intake manifold (from front to rear) with the existing wiring, emerging at the driver side rear corner of the intake manifold. These wires can then be routed into the occupant compartment of the vehicle (using a large grommet at the firewall), and a Fuse Block, Relays, and DLC Port can then be added.

As far as resources go, you could see what that "book" on eBay has to offer - however it is being offered by an individual (not a publisher), and will likely be comprised of 8.5 x 11 paper stapled together.

Official GM service manuals are the best resource - from Alldata, ACDelco, or Helm. For some free information on the subject check out www.lt1swap.com. The information from this website should be taken as generally applicable, however there can be significant variation from OEM wiring harness to OEM wiring harness.

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Maybe some members know, maybe some members don't know, I build custom LSx harnesses.

Re-purposing a used harness saves money, when the project owner knows what their doing... time vs. money.
    Re-purposing a used harness limits harness lengths... adding wire adds time / cost.

From a business stand point, cookie cut harness can save the project owner time and money?

dave w

Dave, can you share the part number of that Relay/fuse box? I'm using a different one but this looks better.

dave w

Sure is a professional looking harness!

Quote Originally Posted by Montecarlodrag View Post
    Dave, can you share the part number of that Relay/fuse box? I'm using a different one but this looks better.
    See attached .pdf's

Quote Originally Posted by EDZIP View Post
    Sure is a professional looking harness!
    Almost 600 feet of wire.

Maybe you would like a harness kit to assemble?

dave w

Almost 600 feet of wire.

Maybe you would like a harness kit to assemble?

dave w
    Didn't know anyone had that option? I'll send a PM..

Thanks

See attached .pdf's
    Thanks for sharing. I'm currently using the Current Performance SA-1000, which is good but sometimes overkill for simple swaps. The one you use will look better for some cars.

Best Regards.