Thread: Tuning 350 TBI 8746 ECM

Electronic Ignition!

Tuning 350 TBI 8746 ECM

I figured it could be helpful to create a new thread in the GM Tuning section instead of the Introduction section. The car at hand is described in my signature. Basically it is a lightly modified Chevy 350 TBI in a Cadillac. I have opened up the intake and exhaust and I will be installing a 395 cam soon. I am totally unfamiliar with tuning and would like to get a little headway on it before doing the cam swap. I have the 8746 ECM. I have been looking for a 9C1 chip. There are several chips on ebay, but I don't really know exactly what I am looking for or how to verify if it is an actual 9C1 chip or computer. I would buy the whole ECM if necessary.

Did 9C1 chips come in the 8746 ECM, or was it a different ECM?? All of the 8746 ECMs I see do not appear to have tuning or compatibility with Caprices with 5.7 engines. This particular chip seems to be very elusive. I don't suppose anyone on here would have one for sale.

I would ultimately like to do some custom tuning myself. I may need to begin learning that if I cannot locate a 9C1 chip to start with... Any and all help is appreciated.
    1990 Cadillac Brougham with all original VIN 7 GM TBI roller 350. 78,000 miles, 3.23 rear, rebuilt and upgraded 700R4 with 1500 stall. Engine upgrades include: Ultimate TBI mods, big air cleaner, SMOG pump/system delete, cat delete, high flow y pipe.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Danoby View Post
    I figured it could be helpful to create a new thread in the GM Tuning section instead of the Introduction section. The car at hand is described in my signature. Basically it is a lightly modified Chevy 350 TBI in a Cadillac. I have opened up the intake and exhaust and I will be installing a 395 cam soon. I am totally unfamiliar with tuning and would like to get a little headway on it before doing the cam swap. I have the 8746 ECM. I have been looking for a 9C1 chip. There are several chips on ebay, but I don't really know exactly what I am looking for or how to verify if it is an actual 9C1 chip or computer. I would buy the whole ECM if necessary.

Did 9C1 chips come in the 8746 ECM, or was it a different ECM?? All of the 8746 ECMs I see do not appear to have tuning or compatibility with Caprices with 5.7 engines. This particular chip seems to be very elusive. I don't suppose anyone on here would have one for sale. I have several 9C1files.

I would ultimately like to do some custom tuning myself. I may need to begin learning that if I cannot locate a 9C1 chip to start with... Any and all help is appreciated.
    9c1 chip just has better timing/fuel mapping amd is programmed for bigger injectors/higher fuel delivery than the 180 hp version. You could pickup another 846' ecm and a chip carrier and solder it in place of the factory one.

http://www.moates.net/g2-memory-adap....html?cPath=64

This is what I mainly use now days. Although if I am just burning a random chip I also have an older Burn1 that works excellent as well and an old WinALDL cable I built myself.

http://www.moates.net/apu1-autoprom-....html?cPath=64

Craig Moates has a service for installing the chip adapter into your ECM.

Finally I still like WinALDL for thse older cars. The histograms are top notch and the data can be exported to Excel easily.

http://winaldl.joby.se/
    Last edited by Fast355; 01-03-2016 at 08:58 PM.

Electronic Ignition!
    Man, I am like inept with the electronic tuning lol. I am going to start with the 65 pph injectors. I found a few vendors selling "9C1" "high flow" injectors... My only inhibition is by looking at the pictures, they look identical to the standard injectors. I don't want to spend 150$ for injectors identical to the ones I already have. Is there any way I can confirm their authenticity upon arrival, or even remotely prior to purchase perhaps?

I emailed Moates and still have not heard back about the chip endeavor. I don't know if I have the time or energy to get into tuning myself, as much as I'd like to. I am leaning towards a quick and easy solution, even if it means leaving a few HP on the table, I'm okay with that. Is there like a generic "hot" chip I can get that will go right in without soldering, OR could someone burn me one with typical performance parameters on it? Maybe I am misunderstanding, but the 9C1 chip will require soldering into place, not to mention it is quite elusive.
    1990 Cadillac Brougham with all original VIN 7 GM TBI roller 350. 78,000 miles, 3.23 rear, rebuilt and upgraded 700R4 with 1500 stall. Engine upgrades include: Ultimate TBI mods, big air cleaner, SMOG pump/system delete, cat delete, high flow y pipe.