Thread: 68 body on 93 chassis

68 body on 93 chassis

Hello. I'm totally new to posting in forums. I usually get by with mostly reading other peoples posts (on excellent forums like this) and trial and error on my own. I guess you could say I'm pretty shy.
    I've joined this forum because this looks like the most helpful place on the net for my current project and I wanted to get my account established so when I have a burning question (and I'm sure I will) I won't have to go through the registering process before I can ask.
    I have a 1968 Chevy truck body on a 1993 Chevy K1500 4x4 chassis. The motor was a stock 350 TBI with 4L60E transmission. I have freshened up the motor with new bearings, rings etc.. Mods to the motor so far are; Ramjet 350 roller cam, Vortec 062 heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake with the tbi adapted to it & cheap stainless shorty headers from eBay. Exhaust is true cat free duels. I'm just trying to build a decent running 350 with good torque. I have yet to fire the motor.
    So far in preparation for the upgrades I've upgraded the fuel pump to a 96' vortec truck pump and have an APU1 and G1 chip adapter on the way from Moates. I still need to do the tbi ultimate mods for better air flow and am thinking about making the regulator adjustable. I'm going to try to get by with the stock injectors and throttle body until funds permit getting a 46mm unit.
    It looks like I'm in for a steep learning curve with TunerPro and getting the motor dialed in but I like learning and look forward to the challenge.

I'll have a lot of interest in your project. I have a 1995 K1500, similar to your chassis and my Dad is building his sixth 67-72 vintage chevy pickup, which happens to be a '68.

Your stock TB and injectors will be fine if you can get the fuel pressure in the 22-25 psi range. You'll need to install a stiffer regulator spring that does not bottom out to achieve the desired pressure.

Did you install the stock narrow band oxygen sensor in one of the header collectors? It will be needed for tuning.

Did you get this Perf RPM intake http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ed...make/chevrolet and if so did you plumb coolant through the intake manifold plenum? It's my preference unless you're in a climate where it never gets below about 40°F.
    1995 K1500, Stock LO5, 4L60e, 3.73 gears, 265/75-16 tires, L&L Products Ultra-flow headers into 2-1/2" Y-pipe and 3" single exhaust

Yeah, I installed the stock O2 sensor back in the stock location. These headers actually fit better than the old heat warped stock manifolds.

"Did you get this Perf RPM intake http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ed...make/chevrolet and if so did you plumb coolant through the intake manifold plenum? It's my preference unless you're in a climate where it never gets below about 40°F. "

I think that's the same intake I have. I got the intake, heads & a set of chrome valve covers "lightly" used locally. The heads are Scoggin Dickey's with better valve springs in them and I installed ARP screw-in studs. Well, I have the heater core plumbed into the front of the intake if that's what you mean? I recently read somewhere that I should plumb from the water pump to the intake to prevent air pockets, but I think I may try it like it is and see what happens.