Thread: What if, Black Box PCM repurposed as TCM?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecarlodrag View Post
    What I would do is to use a EBCM from a newer truck and delete the harness and stock PCM to use the L33 PCM and harness. The use the same signals so it should be easier than making 2 PCMs live together
    +1

Swap in a 1998+ S10 ABS Pump and Module (EBCM) assembly (they are very inexpensive used - eBay or wrecking yard). A P01 or P59 PCM is capable of sending a 4K VSS signal to the speedometer, and a 128K VSS signal to the EBCM.
    Last edited by LRT; 12-28-2015 at 02:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LRT View Post
    +1

Swap in a 1998+ S10 ABS Pump and Module (EBCM) assembly (they are very inexpensive used - eBay or wrecking yard). A P01 or P59 PCM is capable of sending a 4K VSS signal to the speedometer, and a 128K VSS signal to the EBCM.
    I really have nothing useful to input to the thread, just reading through it to have something to do.
    But I agree with LRT. If the vcm/abs is a one year odd ball thing, then why keep it? If it fails in the future, parts or replacements may be very hard to find and expensive. I would think that swapping to a more common and/or compatible abs module might be the better road to travel on?
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Truth is, GM is very friendly for engine swaps and part interchangeability. I have done swaps in 88 trucks keeping stock cluster fully functional including speedo, controlled by a 2003-2007 P59 PCM.
    Ford and Dodge are much more difficult.

I saw the engine that will be going into the 96 Blazer, see attached pics.

Would I be correct, this is a 58x engine (CKP sensor is gray)?

Would I be correct, the original ECM for this engine was the E38?

Would I be correct, this is a 2007 pickup engine?

Would I be correct, I will need to use a Lingenfelter 58x to 24x converter (http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...3#.VoYMZE_LLuc) to use an '0411 PCM?

Would I be correct, converting to Drive by Cable is a good plan?

Would I be correct, this will be a nightmare conversion (not budget friendly) regardless the option of one computer or two computers is used?

Thoughts are appreciated,

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I saw the engine that will be going into the 96 Blazer, see attached pics.

Would I be correct, this is a 58x engine (CKP sensor is gray)?
    Yes
    Would I be correct, the original ECM for this engine was the E38?
    Yes
    Would I be correct, this is a 2007 pickup engine?
    Yes
    Would I be correct, I will need to use a Lingenfelter 58x to 24x converter (http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...3#.VoYMZE_LLuc) to use an '0411 PCM?
    Yes, or replace reluctor and cam timing gear.
    Would I be correct, converting to Drive by Cable is a good plan?
    Yes, although dbw can be done.
    Would I be correct, this will be a nightmare conversion (not budget friendly) regardless the option of one computer or two computers is used?
    No, can be done very budget friendly( although I guess that depends on what your budget is?)
    Thoughts are appreciated,

dave w
    Keeping the original pcm is not feasible. Either disable the abs and run conventional brakes or swap to a newer abs module.
    Last edited by mecanicman; 01-01-2016 at 11:01 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    From the photos that is a 2007 or 2008 58x truck engine. It looks like it may have DOD (AFM).

This is where the Rabbit hole can get very deep, very quickly.

Options:
    1) Sell this engine and purchase a 24x engine - to use a PCM.
    2) Use a Lingenfelter 58x to 24x converter - to use a PCM.
    3) Use an E67 with a TBSS calibration.

No matter which of these options you choose, I would not recommend trying to reuse the S10 4L60E. Also, the additional "small" costs are going to add up quickly.

I'm thinking the engine pictured in post 14 would be the LY5 / VIN code "J"?

I'm thinking the knock sensors are "Flat Response"; so I'm wondering what would be needed to be done in a 24x (512K) flash to get these flat response sensors to work correctly? Is there a native 24x (512K) flash application (aluminum block) I can get the Flat Response parameters from? I wonder if I need to use a different part # Flat Response knock sensor for a 512K flash application.

dave w