Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7747 help

Electronic Ignition!

7747 help

Hello there. This is my 1st post. I have been reading for a few months now. I am ready to start tuning. I don't know how to state my questions to get pointed in the right directions so please bare with me.
    What I have: 87 chevy tbi 5.7 bored .30 over with comp cams 12-249-4 cam. tranny is SM465 and 4.56 gears. electronic speedo. When i bought the engine the guy gave me a computer with it. Not sure if it was from that engine or not. I have completely rebuilt the engine and put it in a jeep that I built. I have 7000 miles on it and it runs good. I have taken off all the smog stuff and blocked the EGR. It has always smelled rich. So because I want to know everything about this jeep I started looking into dataloging and got set up for winALDL. and it shows me running rich at idle and lean at speed. I was also getting and EGR CEL. Then i started looking at tuning. so I ordered the auto prom from moates. It runs good but not right so far and I just wanted to tune it for reliability and to protect the engine and understand it. But I am kinda cautious so I went to the junk yard and grabbed another computer. I did this so I could have a back up computer as well incase I was stuck somewhere deep in the woods.
    The BCC that I started with is AKAJ. The JY one was ARPB but I removed it from a chevy truck. I don't recall the year and there was no engine in it. I soldered in the G2 socket in the JY computer but was never able to find a ARPB bin. so when I was looking I found the AKAJ one on this site. But below that one was one that said ACSC for and 87 R-V 5.7 with a manual. I though heck that one is probably better. I burned it and put it in and started it up. It ran fine except on take off. It would bogg down and back fire through the intake if i mashed it from a stop. rolling into it was fine.

Finally my questions. before I start messing with tuning can I start with that bin? Do I have to find a ARPB one? can I just burn the AKAJ stock one and start there? Thats the one it has been running on for the 7000 miles anyway.

Thanks
    Mike

I recommend ASDX as the bin you start with. Very well documented and available on this site
    Everyone on this site will recommend TunerproRT as your logging software. Much more information is logged and the support is great. Get it from Craig Moats @moates.net
    Last edited by jim_in_dorris; 12-21-2015 at 05:43 AM.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by jim_in_dorris View Post
    I recommend ASDX as the bin you start with. Very well documented and available on this site
    Thank you !! I can use this bin with any 1227747 correct?

Yes, that is true.

Electronic Ignition!
    Yes, that is true.
    Thanks again man. I searched asdx and found the thread where you helped out another guy to. It answers lots of questions. And it led to more reading. I know all the answered are here. It trying to find out what to search. Thanks again!

Electronic Ignition!
    Quick question at what point do i add the 2 VE tables together. I currently have the bin loaded on a chip with egr patch to disable. The spark patch. Air diverted off, PE off, dfco off and the VE table smoothed. Then I remember reading I should add the 2 tables. Should data log 1st or when should it be done. Thanks

Mike, I would data log first to see where you are. When you add the 2 tables and come up with more than 100% you will need to make some adjustments. Dave W will be better able to answer those types of questions, but there are a lot of threads on here about that

Electronic Ignition!
    Mike, I would data log first to see where you are. When you add the 2 tables and come up with more than 100% you will need to make some adjustments. Dave W will be better able to answer those types of questions, but there are a lot of threads on here about that
    Yeah I've read a bunch on how to do it and why. Just wasn't sure if I should do it before trying to adjust the VE or do 1st logging and tune then combine then log and tune some more. Cool I'll get some data over the next couple days. I did start it in the garage and it seam good if I roll on the throttle but mashing it it hesitates. But the over whelming smell of exhaust is way better Thanks

Electronic Ignition!
    There are really good tutitorials in this forum
    Attachment 10032Attachment 10033

Electronic Ignition!
    So i got some Dataloging in last night. i used tuner pro rt with the auto prom. When i stopped the recording It asked to save so I saved it to the desktop of my laptop. I then put that file on a thumb drive to move to my computer desktop with excel to use the spreadsheet calculator. When I opened the file in tuner pro on my desktop I had to play the file to get the history to fill in. However it does not match my laptop that used to datalog. Anyone know whats going on there? also to get the history to fill in i had to push the play button several times and it slowly filled in. I'm I doing something wrong? It was saved as a .XDL file. I tried to export the file from the laptop to a thumb drive and it saved it as an excel file. Any suggestions?

It did run great compared to before. No hesitations and the blm numbers don't look that bad so far.

Post the log and I will take a look. Usually trying to open a file in something other than what created it can cause file associations to change, they may need to be reset

Fuel Injected!
    Do you have the same adx file open in both program instances? I'm not sure if this affects the log or not but with having to play it back I wouldn't be surprised if it does. I've always exported the log to a CSV or XL file before closing it so I've never re-opened a log file to look at it again.

Electronic Ignition!
    Post the log and I will take a look. Usually trying to open a file in something other than what created it can cause file associations to change, they may need to be reset
    It won't let me upload the excel file. It has a .csv ending to it. My concern it that it doesn't match the laptop ( this file is from the desktop ) thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    Do you have the same adx file open in both program instances? I'm not sure if this affects the log or not but with having to play it back I wouldn't be surprised if it does. I've always exported the log to a CSV or XL file before closing it so I've never re-opened a log file to look at it again.
    I do. They both have identical stuff except excel. I am running it thru parallels on the mac though.

Electronic Ignition!
    this one is from the laptop. the actual one saved after the recording stopped

files are the same size so I must e doing something wrong on the desktop end

Ok, I will get too it in the next couple of days. I haven't even turned my desktop on this week.