Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering selling Tunercat OBDII license...

Administrator

Considering selling Tunercat OBDII license...

I have two licenses for TC OBDII and I'm considering selling one. I purchased a copy of TCOBDII not too long after the software was released and the buyer will get the original installation disk. Updates can be obtained from TC. I will work with TC to ensure registration is transferred properly. The interface cable is not CAN compatible and IMO is not worth including. I bought the software with a definition for the black box C/K truck pcm that works from 96-99 and I purchased a second definition for an '09 Malibu with 3100. These could be included or omitted. I believe I paid $350 for the original package and $80 for the Malibu license. As I have no idea of the current value of the license, I am entertaining offers.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    I have two licenses for TC OBDII and I'm considering selling one. I purchased a copy of TCOBDII not too long after the software was released and the buyer will get the original installation disk. Updates can be obtained from TC. I will work with TC to ensure registration is transferred properly. The interface cable is not CAN compatible and IMO is not worth including. I bought the software with a definition for the black box C/K truck pcm that works from 96-99 and I purchased a second definition for an '09 Malibu with 3100. These could be included or omitted. I believe I paid $350 for the original package and $80 for the Malibu license. As I have no idea of the current value of the license, I am entertaining offers.
    PM Sent

I am interested. No idea what it is worth, but I am doing a lot of Black Box PCMs and 0411s.

I'm interested as well, so I can get my hands dirty with some OBDII stuff.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Cool deal! Value could be exponential, LOL.

Side question. Do you suffer compatibility issue with yours, Windows wise? I get random crashing unless I hit 'er buttons just right.

Moates.net offers TunerCats OBDII (RTOBD2) sofware:http://www.moates.net/gm-1996present...-c-100_55.html

Flash Cable for RTOBD2: http://www.moates.net/winflash-tuner....html?cPath=97

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Pedal View Post
    Side question. Do you suffer compatibility issue with yours, Windows wise? I get random crashing unless I hit 'er buttons just right.
    For Win 7 OS, I run RTOBD2 in Win XP service pack 3 compatibility mode. What I do to reduce or eliminate Win compatibility crashes is load the .cal file from the drop down menu; see attached screen shot. I still tend to get crashes when comparing cal files. I often have to load / browse to a .cal file, save the loaded .cal file, exit RTOBD2 then reopen RTOBD2 to select the .cal file I want to edit from the drop down menu.

dave w

That's how I am setup and almost exactly what I do. LOL. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Moates.net offers TunerCats OBDII (RTOBD2) sofware:http://www.moates.net/gm-1996present...-c-100_55.html

Flash Cable for RTOBD2: http://www.moates.net/winflash-tuner....html?cPath=97

dave w
    Remember, you gotta buy a road runner to get that. So add the value of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Pedal View Post
    Remember, you gotta buy a road runner to get that. So add the value of that.
    That would be correct, to get setup with RTOBD2 now. I would think if someone was correctly transferring ownership of the RTOBD2 software, VDF's, and flash cable there should not be a need to purchase a Road Runner.

The overwhelming value of a "full set" of RTOBD2 VDF's is not needing the individual licenses / per computer fees other flash systems require to flash.

I seldom flash "Black Box" PCM's. I very frequently flash LS1b PCM's; both red / blue and blue / green with RTOBD2.

The limitations I've experienced with RTOBD2 software is I have not been able to delete VATS on E38 / E40 / E67 PCM's. Based on what I've been asked to flash, I will very likely see more and more E38 / E40 / E67 ECM's in the future.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    The limitations I've experienced with RTOBD2 software is I have not been able to delete VATS on E38 / E40 / E67 PCM's

dave w
    Apply the Code Patch, then save the cal and close the software. When reflashing you must then select the Force Full Program option. Have never had an issue using RTOBD2 to disable VATS on E38 / E67.

Quote Originally Posted by LRT View Post
    Apply the Code Patch, then save the cal and close the software. When reflashing you must then select the Force Full Program option. Have never had an issue using RTOBD2 to disable VATS on E38 / E67.
    I'm unable to update to Version 3.44, I'm using Version 3.27. This could explain why I don't have the Code Patch?

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    3.27 was released around 2012 ? Should work. Open the cal, then click on the Files menu, Code Patches should be just above the Close option. The E38 / E67 VDF file requires the corresponding *.vats.cpt file (for the operating system, eg. 12614676vats.cpt)

Quote Originally Posted by LRT View Post
    3.27 was released around 2012 ? Should work. Open the cal, then click on the Files menu, Code Patches should be just above the Close option. The E38 / E67 VDF file requires the corresponding *.vats.cpt file (for the operating system, eg. 12614676vats.cpt)
    Thank you very much!!
    See attached screen shots

dave w

Administrator
    You've gotta love a group that can turn a "for sale" thread into an educational one. One of the strong points of this forum imo...

So there are several people who are interested, no offers, and still no idea what to sell for. This is why I've been sitting on it. It's like trying to sell a classic car when family is asking to buy it. Seems like no matter what ya do, someone's gonna lose.

The installation disc comes with TC and Winflash. To get those products now you'd go through Moates or Wester's and Wester's only sells a "complete" package for $$$. Moates lets you buy RR hardware ($489), TunercatOBDII RT ($225) and Winflash + Cable ($280). That's dang near $1000. But once you're in, you're in. You only need defs for the vehicles you're working on. So for a guy doing multiple vehicles with a similar pcm it's a good deal because he doesn't need to shell out $$ with every tune. But it's waay too much imo for someone just tinkering with a few vehicles.

OTOH there's Jet, TC's demanding stepchild. There are two non-diesel versions available. One covers 96-07 (according to Jet's site), the other is 07-current. Each can be found for about $400. But after four vehicles it costs $100 for each new vehicle. It's the best deal for anyone only planning to do their own truck and a few others. A person trying to tune for $$ will find it's a fairly big overhead (but maybe not so big compared to other software packages).

With the old cable the TC package works to somewhere around 2005. With the new cable it works with all applications supported by TC. A cable is $270 from TC, possibly slightly less from AVT.

So either it's worth a bunch, or maybe about what I paid for it. All depends on who's buying...

Administrator
    Software is sold. Thanks to the people who made purchase offers.