Thread: Single Plane vs Dual Plane Intake

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!

Single Plane vs Dual Plane Intake

Hello all,

I am chasing down an issue after performing a TBI conversion on a 350 Gen 1 Small block with a 4 bolt main. I have Summit Racing aluminum heads and a hot cam. I purchased this as a kit from them (SME-K-355-400). I did not purchase the intake and opted to stay with what came with the motor, an Edelbrock RPM air gap. This intake is a dual plane, very similar to the one pictured here: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/manifolds/sb/7501.jpg

I also have an upgrade TBI unit from SPR performance. It includes an 18 psi spring and 65lb flow-matched injectors. The TBI unit was spec'd by SPR to flow 650 CFM after machining.

My question is, are the dual plane intakes not recommended for TBI? Should I add/replace the spacer to allow crossflow? Should I grind away the intake to allow crossflow? Or should I install a single-plane intake?I believe the overheating could be caused by a lean condition on some cylinders. I do have a wide band installed downstream from the o2 used for the TBI, the readings are perfect once the engine is warm.

This overheating has long been troubling me. I have installed a 3 row radiator, new standard direction water pump and Flex-A-Lite black magic shroud/fan.

Kris
    Last edited by 350yj; 12-16-2015 at 08:55 PM.