Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1990 pontiac sunbird garbage data

Electronic Ignition!
    1228321 atwb

Electronic Ignition!
    why isn't anyone responding to my post? I have supplied all of the information asked for.

Administrator
    I'm sorry no one has solved this problem for you. We are often busy during the day.

I do not know which file goes with your car. The calibration you listed is for a 2.0 liter engine and belongs with a 1227748 ecm. That engine is an overhead cam engine and uses a distributor.

ECM 1228321, belongs with Chevrolet 2.0l TBI engines used in 1987, 1988, and 1989. These engines did not have a distributor and were cam - in - block.

The ecm + calibration + engine combination are invalid. Calibrations for one ecm usually don't work as expected in a different ecm. A calibration for a distributor engine won't work with distributorless ignition and the distributorless calibration won't work with the distributor engine.

If you wish to work on this mystery without waiting for answers, here are the links I used:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera...122_engine#LL8
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_II_engine#LT2
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Sunbird

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1-...it?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1-...it?usp=sharing

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gearhead...aldl/INDEX.DOC
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gearhead-efi/def/aldl/

Super Moderator
    here's a test ADX for the 1228321 ECM.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Electronic Ignition!
    The ECM i have in there right now is a 1227748. I tried a couple of definition files including $135 which Bob Saar gave me. The car runs fine with that ecm but I just can't read any reliable data from it with Tunerpro. Is that the correct definition file? I hope you can answer this question for me as I am ready to give up on tunerpro and buy a scan tool.

Administrator
    First, there aren't too many people working with your engine and ecm so keep in mind that we may be making best guesses for you. Tunerpro is cheap but the tradeoff is that we have to figure it out on our own sometimes.

Second, don't mix and match ecm's and chips. Keep ATWB with the 1227748. Keep the 1228321 with its calibration.

There are four definition files listed for a 2.0 TBI Sunbird engine. A135 is for a 1990 and 1991 Sunbird. ATWB is for a 1227748 in a 1990 Sunbird. So on paper everything will work if its kept together.

If you are mixing and matching chips then you will get garbage. If you plug in an expensive scan tool it will provide you with expensive garbage. If you use Tunerpro you will get your garbage for free. If you are thinking a scantool will work better, maybe you should talk with a garage or a mechanic who has a tool to see if they can just hook up to your car and try to talk with it? It could save you money.

Electronic Ignition!
    OK, thanks. Looks like I need to learn a few things before I ask any more questions. I have a background working on aircraft computer control systems but this is somewhat different.

Fuel Injected!
    He's saying keep the right os with the hardware....like Mac os with Mac , Windows for pc...., so you have to keep the original chip info structure. Keep asking questions because it helps everyone learn.

Electronic Ignition!
    from what I have seen studying the schematics the ecm is a 16 bit computer chip with the program and data tables stored in a 2732 eprom. Of course the prom has to match the application exactly, the application being the engine being controlled. I spent many hours loading eproms with firmware for jet engine controllers. I just need to learn the acronyms and what they mean. The concepts seem to be the same. Finding the right definition file has been a challange to say the least. I didn't have any trouble finding one for my 94 s10 and tunerpro works very well on it.

Quote Originally Posted by otheym View Post
    from what I have seen studying the schematics the ecm is a 16 bit computer chip with the program and data tables stored in a 2732 eprom. Of course the prom has to match the application exactly, the application being the engine being controlled. I spent many hours loading eproms with firmware for jet engine controllers. I just need to learn the acronyms and what they mean. The concepts seem to be the same. Finding the right definition file has been a challange to say the least. I didn't have any trouble finding one for my 94 s10 and tunerpro works very well on it.
    Partially correct. Yes it's a 16 bit microcrontroller, but not ALL of the instructions are contained on the EPROM in every case, this is especially true with the C3 style ECM (usually a 24 pin EPROM), where only part of the instruction set is on the removable EPROM and the rest is hard-coded into the ECM.

It's best to use the service number that originally matched that BCC. There are cases where MEMCALS (that contain the EPROM) can be swapped between different service numbers, but you're not at a point where you can claim that with any real certainty, and this is a rare ability for a C3 style ECM. I'm not aware of any edge card connector ECMs with this ability.

So the EPROM has to match more than just the engine it's running it also has to match the ECM, which is why it's important to know what that is along with the BCC.

Until you get these things to match you'll likely get nothing but garbage data, and I'm surprised you get any data at all. Usually the ECM will throw a code 51 and go into LHM (Limp Home Mode), when the wrong EPROM is installed.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Electronic Ignition!
    The next step for me will be to pull the ecm out of the car and see exactly what I have. It is winter and the car is outside so it might be a while. I was looking at the headers on the files I have and what does StrvVinCode mean?
    Last edited by otheym; 12-27-2015 at 08:22 PM. Reason: addition

No idea, I've never come across StrvVinCode before.

What is it in reference to? Or what is the context of where you've come across that?
    Last edited by Six_Shooter; 12-28-2015 at 02:40 AM.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Electronic Ignition!
    it is part of an ads definition file. Seems to be in every one. Just curious.