Thread: Laptop will not connect to datastream

Laptop will not connect to datastream

Just had a issue with my laptop. It's a samsung running windows 8. It's about 2-3 years old. I have not had to use it in several months so I had a boat load of updates to do to it.
    After updating everything I plug in my autoprom and start tunerpro. I noticed I did not hear the beep-beep it normally does when it detects a device, however at the bottom it says hardware: autoprom v2.17.A and next to it says ready. So I figure it just no longer does the beep thing. Well I load up my ADX and hit connect, the "ready" disappears but nothing else happens. It will not connect. I hit the connect button again and still nothing. I hit the button to "initialize emulation hardware" normally this would cause the beep-beep and connect the autoprom if it wasn't already. Still no beep and still no connection.
    So I go back into the house and drag out my old dinosaur dell running xp. When starting tunerpro it beeps and I can connect to the vehicle perfectly fine. I log with it and finish what I need to do.
    I hook the autoprom back to the newer laptop and still nothing. It does not beep, but yet it says it finds the autoprom. Just for the hell of it, I hook it up to my desktop (asus running windows 8 with all current updates) and start tunerpro. I get the beep-beep, however I can't exactly hook it up to the jeep. But the fact that it beeps but the laptop does not makes me think something is up with the laptop.
    I did not have this issue several months ago (which was the last time I used it) so I am thinking a update somewhere may have changed something. But I have no idea what or where to look.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Fuel Injected!
    my have to reinstall the ftd driver I think is what it is call, the one from moates. an see whitch com port it changed to.

I am not huge on computer limbo. What would I have to do to do that? Delete and reinstall tunerpro?
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Fuel Injected!
    in windows 7 you plug the atprom in go to device manegar run down the list find the auto prom click on it then click uninstall. it will uninstall the drivers when it is do uplug the autoprom I restarted my pc then pluged the auto prom in and windows reinstalled the drivers. have you got the 2 switches set right to data log?

Administrator
    The beep is when you plug anything into the USB, yes? You could try plugging in a phone or camera or some other USB device and listen for a beep. No beep = USB device not recognized. That takes some more troubleshooting...

No, the beep I am referring to is the noise made by tunerpro itself. I still get the little windows sound when I hook it up to the usb port, I just do not get the beep-beep sound from tunerpro itself when it starts up.

And yes, I have both switches in the correct positions. It functions perfectly fine with the old laptop, just not the new one, so it is definitely something with the new laptop.

Fuel Injected!
    have you got everthing set in the prefferences in tuner pro on your lap top?

Well I searched for updates to tunerpro and it found one. I downloaded and installed the update and gave it a try. I now the the beep beep from tunerpro when I start it and it sees the autoprom. At the bottom it says hardware: autoprom v2.17.A and next to it says ready, next to that it says DA not connected. When I hit connect the "ready" disappears but nothing else happens. It still says DA not connected.
    I tried what ony said and went to the device manager and found when I plug in the autoprom it shows up as (com3) I right clicked and hit uninstall. I unplugged it and restarted the computer. I plugged it back in, it made the windows noise but did not reinstall anything. I try it with tunerpro again and still nothing has changed.
    ony, what preferences would I need to change? I do not remember changing anything with my old laptop, and do not remember changing anything when I first tried this new laptop (when it worked) So I am not sure what has changed.

Fuel Injected!
    on my autoprom it show com3 but I hade to set it to com 5 for some reason that I don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by ony View Post
    on my autoprom it show com3 but I hade to set it to com 5 for some reason that I don't understand.
    How would I do this?
    I still need to get this figured out.

Fuel Injected!
    plug it in then go to device maneger if w8 has it,run down the list see what com port dm has the auto prom on. go to tur pro , tools preferences on plug in it should show which you want to use plugin or autoprom choose then select com port. you can verify if it is working. if it says port not found try changing the switches on your auto prom. I think you have to choose plugin to data log,its been a while sense I have used my ap,i use another moats thing to data log with tuner pro and use the auto prom with tuner cat to tune at the same time.got to wondering so ill hook it up here in a little bit I wanted to change some thing that causes a 75 rpm up and down surge at around 1100rpms. ithink it has to do with the o2 sensor swithing have you had any of these conditions?
    Last edited by ony; 01-01-2016 at 06:13 PM. Reason: more info