Thread: tune on 4.3 tbi chip

Carb and Points!

tune on 4.3 tbi chip

hello everyone- I am a new member and this is my first post. I have done a 4.3 tbi conversion on a 2f fj40 land cruiser. so far it runs really well and ECM throws no codes. the prom chip I used is from an astro van with automatic transmission. the letters on the chip are AKMH. I have been on the IH8MUD site and they recommended this site for help. lots of guys there claim a pretty good increase in gas mileage and that is what I am trying to accomplish. I hear reports of 17-18 MPG and they seem to be from honest folks. all of them, I noticed had their chips re-programmed and that's where I am stuck. some guys had a 'dyno-tune' and I hear of some doing a 'real time' lap-top tune, with, according to them, really good results. some of the smart ones can get the equipment and tune one themselves. I wish I could but I am not computer savvy at all. I live in a small town, Colbert Oklahoma and have been trying to find someone with a laptop or a dyno machine to do this, with no luck. I live about 50 miles north of McKinney, Texas and 80 miles north of Dallas, Texas. thinking someone in those areas could probably tune or re-program one for me. all the guys on MUD are pointing me in that direction, to re-tune my prom chip. my 2f motor has been bored .020 and I have headers and the rest is stock, but that's all the information I can give. I don't know about timing curves, or any details on what my motor is reading on fuel tables or anything like that. it does run good though, just running real rich. a mechanic friend put it on a snap-on scanner and that's what he told me. does anyone have any ideas or know anyone in my area that could do this for me? I heard it was best to do it that way vs. mailing a chip, re-mailing it for another try, and so on. any help on this would be appreciated.

Maybe you can send a private message to devind, he lives near Wichita Falls TX. He might (I'm not sure) have time to work with you (compensated) on getting a laptop computer data logging? You will need a laptop computer, most any low cost (Windows 7) used laptop will work for data logging.

If you would have posted a couple weeks ago, I was near by in Madill Ok.

dave w
    Last edited by dave w; 12-13-2015 at 03:30 AM.

Carb and Points!

Smile reply to dave w

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Maybe you can send a private message to devind, he lives near Wichita Falls TX. He might (I'm not sure) have time to work with you (compensated) on getting a laptop computer data logging? You will need a laptop computer, most any low cost (Windows 7) used laptop will work for data logging.

If you would have posted a couple weeks ago, I was near by in Madill Ok.

dave w
    hello Dave- thanks for getting back to me so fast. it sounds like something like that is what I am looking for. shame I missed you in madill, I live about 22 miles from there. now, if I can figure out how to pm Devind but if its like MUD you just start a conversation. like I say, not smart on these computers. pretty bad, huh? I know that's the best lead I have had in a while though, and maybe he will help me. I think that's only about 145 miles from me. its a thing I didn't know would be hard to find, getting a tune on a chip. had a few problems with install, but I worked those out pretty easy. satisfied all is as it should be and working ok. I called chevy service guys and others and all acted like it was a really hard thing to do. these guys that figure it out for themselves must be pretty sharp. I wish I was. anyway, thanks again for your reply, its a big help. I will try to get in touch with Devind.

I'm not how much time devind has available to help. At the top of this page is a link to private messages (PM). Once you get to the PM page, you will see the option to "send" a message. Type in the devind to who you want to send a PM to, type the message, then send.

If you were up to speed with computers and TunerPro RT, myself or other members could help you "remote" tune.

dave w

Carb and Points!
    hey dave- thanks again. I think I had luck on sending a pm to devind. I told him you gave me the suggestion. also, that I understand he may or may not have time to do it. man, I wish I understood all the stuff that goes along with tuning but its all greek to me. thanks for the offer though. maybe devind can help or possibly tell me someone else that can. appreciate it.