Thread: New to Tuning, 2003 Monte Carlo LA1 12209614

Carb and Points!

New to Tuning, 2003 Monte Carlo LA1 12209614

Hey all, I'm new to all this tuning stuff. I've got a 2003 Monte Carlo with the 3400 LA1 60 Degree V6, ECU 12209614.. I'm able to use a program like ScanXL to clear trouble codes, freeze frames, and the like, but I'm not able to find really any information on this ECU at all. I would like to tune or do things that ScanXL doesnt do. Any input is appreciated. I don't know the memcal or anything but i do have individual pictures of each of the chips inside the ECU..

Fuel Injected!
    Look at EFI Live or HP Tuners for the software that might be able to tune it. There websites will list the supported vehicles and engines.

There is work being done on a free programming tool for the new ODBII flash based PCM's, but I really don't know the current state of that project.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    Look at EFI Live or HP Tuners for the software that might be able to tune it. There websites will list the supported vehicles and engines.

There is work being done on a free programming tool for the new ODBII flash based PCM's, but I really don't know the current state of that project.

Is there anybody who'd have anyy lowkey information on it? like the other PCM's there are names for, is there one for this?

Fuel Injected!
    It is a P04 PCM. It looks like the popular '0411 PCM (P01). The visual difference are the connectors. The '0411 uses blue and red connectors, while the P04 uses blue and clear connectors.

For tuning, it is supported by HP Tuners and Tunercat, but not by EFILive.
    Last edited by LRT; 12-11-2015 at 04:08 AM.

Carb and Points!
    So yesterday I was able to log some data in ScanXL Professional. Mind you, guys, I've got an elm327 device. Not sure how much more I can do besides using something like STNTerm to communicate but I was looking more along the lines of diy. Maybe one day I'll invest in either the vcm suite of HP tuners or the jet dynapic spectrum thing or whatever that used to be tunercat.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by LRT View Post
    It is a P04 PCM. It looks like the popular '0411 PCM (P01). The visual difference are the connectors. The '0411 uses blue and red connectors, while the P04 uses blue and clear connectors.

For tuning, it is supported by HP Tuners and Tunercat, but not by EFILive.

the P04 and '0411 only look alike on the outside. inside they are very different.

there is another option for tuners, but the company went out of buisness years ago. Digital Horsepower (DHP) Powrtuners work. I only use mine to flash the PCM and data log though. there's a freeware tuning suite called "tiny tuner" that I use for bin edits. it's pretty good. I'm currently working on a bin for an LA1, but using a L67 bin file. the L67 file has more tables available to tune, as well as 2 bar support (my application is turbo)

http://theblattners.com/Projects/TinyTuner/default.html

http://theblattners.com/projects/tab...r/default.html

the tiny tuner table modifier also works with HP tuners.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by ericjon262 View Post
    the P04 and '0411 only look alike on the outside. inside they are very different.

there is another option for tuners, but the company went out of buisness years ago. Digital Horsepower (DHP) Powrtuners work. I only use mine to flash the PCM and data log though. there's a freeware tuning suite called "tiny tuner" that I use for bin edits. it's pretty good. I'm currently working on a bin for an LA1, but using a L67 bin file. the L67 file has more tables available to tune, as well as 2 bar support (my application is turbo)

http://theblattners.com/Projects/TinyTuner/default.html

http://theblattners.com/projects/tab...r/default.html

the tiny tuner table modifier also works with HP tuners.
    How did the project work out for you using tiny tuners? I have a similar, but opposite problem. I have a L36 bin with PCM that I want to add some info from an LA1 bin. Looking at transferring over the AWD information into the L36 PCM.

My other option would be keep the LA1 bin and PCM and import the L36 bin into it, similar to what you are doing. Would this change the pinouts of the PCM to the L36 layout? Excuse me ignorance, I am just starting to get into PCM tuning and diving head first into a hopeful project of an AWD 3800NA.
    Last edited by LoneWolf04; 08-16-2019 at 11:19 PM.