Thread: dist?

Fuel Injected!

dist?

hy, I was wondering if anyone has run into a v6 distributor in a v8, 1998 model? I had a truck a man brought in to the shop that didn't run right. the only code was the cam sensor we changed it no difference. it acted like there was something wrong with the pcm it had been changed with a parts yard one before he got the truck. I had the dist. out and set it up with 0 cam retard, out of the blue this morning in my mind I remember a 6 where you have to do the initial timming set up with rotor and a mark on the distributor base, I cannot see really good are there # 6 an 8 marks for the different dist? the truck has a 5.0 what I was wondering is would a 4.3 dist fit and run or would the 4.3 not fit at all ?
    Last edited by ony; 12-05-2015 at 07:11 PM. Reason: mor info

Fuel Injected!
    i assume we are talking gm vortec? the v6 distributor has the hold down locked to the distributor base,(though it can be removed and use a v8 holdown clamp) so it can't be turned.the v8 distributor can be turned and adjusted. (both have both the 8 and the 6 for the alignment) don't know it the "pickup area" where the sensor reads is the same between the two or not. cam sensor itself is the same between the two. would like to see a side by side comparison of the two to show the "reluctor" (IE: where the cam sensor reads).
    Last edited by skandolis; 12-05-2015 at 08:54 PM.