Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Searching for a needle in a haystack! 2001/2002 Express Van 8.1 4L80Ee factory tune

Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    I am using HPT. Can use it in .BIN or .HPT.

Vin I have is 1GAHG39G811159594

K. I'll run both Vins and get the files up.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Pedal View Post
    K. I'll run both Vins and get the files up.
    Thanks! I was actually thinking of asking if you would run both. It will be interesting to see what differences there are.

I have a 2003 5.7 calibration from a P30 that is almost identical in every way to a 2002 5.7 G1500 as far as the engine tuning is concerned. I was amazed to find the EXACT same timing maps in both tunes.

Administrator
    Yes, it will be interesting. The VIN I posted is listed with the 340 horse version.

P vans were usually way behind the 8 ball in development. They continued to get 6.5 NA engines long after the rest of the GM line went to turbo plus PCM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Yes, it will be interesting. The VIN I posted is listed with the 340 horse version.

P vans were usually way behind the 8 ball in development. They continued to get 6.5 NA engines long after the rest of the GM line went to turbo plus PCM.
    Weird that the GM information package I ran across says ALL G-vans have the 340 HP version. Now the Vin decoder I believe is in error because it shows the L29 power ratings with the L18 engine RPO. The 8.1 has ZERO problem smoking the tires and letting a long wheelbase Express van drift.
    Last edited by Fast355; 12-03-2015 at 08:06 AM.

Administrator
    Yes, that decoder probably is wrong. But I wouldn't be surprised if it uses actual GM information.

I'm going to guess that you can't overcool that transmission.

May be the morning/late tonight before I get the tunes up. Gotta finish out some paying work tonight to ship tomorrow.

This work stuff... Pfff

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    I'm going to guess that you can't overcool that transmission.
    Actually believe it or not with the current 350 the factory sending unit says it runs about 130-140°F running down the highway in just about any temp. I have the factory in-radiator cooler plumbed in front of a massive Derale cooler with a pusher fan. At idle I have seen it creep up to the 170-180° range on a 105° day but once moving in lockup the temps drops like a rock. I was really surprised to see it that cool when I logged the temps with HPT.

Fuel Injected!
    May be the morning/late tonight before I get the tunes up. Gotta finish out some paying work tonight to ship tomorrow.

This work stuff... Pfff
    I know how that goes! Was stuck there from 9-7 myself...Pfff

Fuel Injected!
    I can set you up with an avalanche 8.1/4l80 file that would work with your pcm like the other one I made for you. Need a copy of the licensed file in the pcm. Also I have a hypertech tune from a 2002 5.3 truck if you want to see how bad they are. If i remember correctly they added 2 degrees of timing to the bottom 1/2 of the timing table and made a couple of trans firming mods. Thats it.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by mecanicman View Post
    I can set you up with an avalanche 8.1/4l80 file that would work with your pcm like the other one I made for you. Need a copy of the licensed file in the pcm. Also I have a hypertech tune from a 2002 5.3 truck if you want to see how bad they are. If i remember correctly they added 2 degrees of timing to the bottom 1/2 of the timing table and made a couple of trans firming mods. Thats it.
    I may need that done. Would prefer the Express timing maps but it could very well be the same thing.

I have a Hypertech tune for a 1998 C1500 it was not bad for what it was designed for. They tuned it for WOT power at or near sea level. They left the part-throttle stuff stock for emissions reason and altered the WOT timing/fueling. I blended the WOT spark map with very minimal changes into the stock timing map to make the one I used in my Express and the Suburban.

Blackbox

I adapted the same table more or less to the 0411.

Sorry got called out of town to tune some ponies before the snow hit. Dang mustangs.

As promised.

Fuel Injected!
    Sorry got called out of town to tune some ponies before the snow hit. Dang mustangs.

As promised.
    No problem, atleast tuning the ponies pays the bills!

I downloaded both and found some interesting stuff.

The cut-away van has the same exact timing map I pulled out of a Workhorse RV and is the same as a Kodiak/Topkick truck with an Allison behind it. The single rear wheel van has the same exact timing map as a Suburban/Avalanche. However the MAF table is unique to the vans as is the throttle mapping. The dual rear wheel van has less torque management restriction than the single rear wheel van. Both of the van setups have more line pressure programmed into the 4L80E than the Suburban/Avalanche. The van however does have more shift torque reduction on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts than the Suburban/Avalanche.