Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrong Mask for PCM?

Fuel Injected!

Wrong Mask for PCM?

Hello,

I have been off and on with tuning my engine. I wanted more power out of it, so I rebuilt the top end with this Summit Racing Kit: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sme-k-355-400

The engine is a 1987 350 cid out of a K1500. The ECM that I am using is out of the matching vehicle and the PROM has a sticker with "ACSN" covering the erase hole. My question is, am I using the correct files in TunerPro? The engine seems to want a lot of timing to run happily. I am close to the mechanical limit of the distributor at the top end of the table (3600 rpm).

BCC Lookup gave me the following information:

BCC: ACSN
    Year: 1987
    Release Date: 31576
    Eprom: 16069997
    ECM: 1227747
    Prom ID: 9998
    Scan ID: 881
    Platform: R2
    Engine: L05
    Displacement: 5.7
    Trans: M20
    Trans Type: MAN

With that, I am using the ASDX 88 C-K bin file, $42-1227747 XDF file, and $42-1227747-V5 ADX file. When reading the stock chip, the timing table is all zeros. Should I be concerned with this?

Kris

Administrator
    The main timing tables should not be all zeros. Maybe you got a bad read from the chip, or maybe the chip is faulty. Or maybe you're loading an ADX and not also loading the XDF file?

There is an ACSM here: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gearhead-efi/bin/ You could load that one up and look it over to get an idea of what your calibration might look like.

Fuel Injected!
    That was ACSM not ACSN. Is there a big difference? I looked everywhere for a stock ACSN bin and was unable to find one.

I have the Moates APU1 kit. Re-reading my ACSN chip never passes the 'Verify Chip w/ Buffer' option. This may be a bug because I get the same result with a Jet Stage 2 chip I also have that Jet said matched the ACSN PROM.

My question is, are the verification failures a red herring? I have looked and cannot find an ADX or XDF file to go with the ACSN bin that I have. This may be what is causing strange timing/fuel numbers.

Should I ignore all of that and start with a fresh bin? If so, which one should I go with?

Kris

Administrator
    I haven't looked at the differences but what I'm suggesting is that you make sure you can see spark numbers and other values with the known good file ACSM. If all you see are zeroes then you have something wrong with your tunerpro configuration. You should be using $42 definitions. If you can "Read" ACSM in Tunerpro then you probably have something wrong with the file you read from the chip and need to check your configuration for the APU1.

Fuel Injected!
    Makes sense, the ACSM file appears to have the same spark values as the ASDX file in TunerPro. I verified the switches on the APU1 and the TunerPro configuration. I did have the chip positioned incorrectly in the reader, however putting it in the correct spot made no difference to what I am seeing the timing and fuel tables.

Edit:

Added my read of the ACSN chip.
    Last edited by 350yj; 12-03-2015 at 02:09 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    somethings wrong,7747 uses a 4.0kb file?

Fuel Injected!
    I read this off the chip using TunerPro and the 27C256 option. Is it possible TunerPro is padding the bin file?

Fuel Injected!
    is your ecm a 1227747 for sure, if it has not been modified it would use a 2732 eprom.

Fuel Injected!
    Sadly, the outer sticker is illegible. I believe it is called the "CALPAC"? It has 16060837 silkscreened on it. Also, attached some shots from the inside.
    Last edited by 350yj; 12-03-2015 at 03:44 AM.

Electronic Ignition!
    Use $42 definitions. Are you attempting to read a 2732 or 27C256? If I read this right it sounds like you tried to dump a 2732 chip with TP set to read 27C256

Fuel Injected!
    I am using the $42 definitions. Selecting 2732A in TunerPro to read the ACSN PROM I get "ERROR: Memory range and/or address range outside select EPROM size"

Fuel Injected!
    you might have to physically put in the offsets? IIRC i had to do so with tunerpro to read a 2732.....................

Fuel Injected!
    Interesting problem to have, I set TunerPro using the configuration seen here: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-read-function and it seems to have worked.

So, my last question. Where should I start when tuning the motor? I also have a Jet Stage 2 chip. Some additional information about the motor:

SPF Performance TBI intake, 46 mm with 65 lb flow matched injectors and 18 psi spring.
    Summit Racing Top End Kit SME-K-355-400

The Summit Racing kit is supposed to produce 355 HP and 400 Ft-lbs of torque.

Oh, and the motor is attached to an AX-15 which is a 5 speed transmission.

Kris
    Last edited by 350yj; 12-03-2015 at 04:51 AM.

Yes, you will likely need to set the offsets yourself. The file should be 4.0kb in size, once read and saved correctly.

I've used some hex editors in the past to extract only the block of data I wanted instead of a larger saved file. It's kinda hard to explain, but playing around with the hex editor might get you there.

best way is to just set the offsets correctly for reading.

Also I have found that using the Flash n' Burn software (stand alone) sometimes works better for the 2732 EPROM reads.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    I may look at the bin files later to see exactly where the padding was added. So as far as tuning goes, what would be a good bin file to start with? Also, how important is the VSS for a manual? Is there any discernible difference in the drivability or fuel economy? This engine and PCM are both swapped into a 1990 Jeep Wrangler...

Kris