Thread: Have my first LS for street rod..now what wiring, PCM and ETC????

Have my first LS for street rod..now what wiring, PCM and ETC????

Been working with OBD1 TPI (eeprom) and LT1 (16188051) flashing and making my own harnesses and having a ball doing it. BUT - Have had the urge to get into the OBD2 LS drive lines for future street rod projects possibly as early as next year.

Just picked up a Chevy 2002 3500 dually with 6.0 and 2WD 4L80e, 88K miles and well maintained. It's a complete running driving cab/chassis, just has no bed. It will be my donor vehicle, my first thoughts are to pick up a 30's-50's Chevy/GMC cab and install it on this chassis since there is no title anyway. It has dual tanks and 4.10 posi rear axle.

Questions:

1) Want to make my own wiring harness - so is there a good reference site or (pin out) manual that I can use to make a standalone harness, one discussing which sensors are/aren't needed would be helpful....

and,

2) which PCM should I plan on using? Most likely will outsource the PCM programming since I'm not equipped for OBD2 flashing. I'll just need a basic flash without VATS, EGR, EVAP, rear O2 etc but with 4L80e management etc to get the project off and running.

Any help is appreciated

Check LT1Swap.com for your wiring needs. Great site with plenty of info.

I'd be happy to help with the flash of the ECM. Any questions, feel free to ask.

As far as what ECM. You have the correct one already attached to the harness and engine.. LOL

With the wiring, you will have to do some modding to swap from the truck layout. Its not hard. If the ECM will work on the driver fender, then the truck layout will work fine.
    Last edited by Skinny Pedal; 12-02-2015 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Pedal View Post
    Check LT1Swap.com for your wiring needs. Great site with plenty of info.

I'd be happy to help with the flash of the ECM. Any questions, feel free to ask.

As far as what ECM. You have the correct one already attached to the harness and engine.. LOL

With the wiring, you will have to do some modding to swap from the truck layout. Its not hard. If the ECM will work on the driver fender, then the truck layout will work fine.
    THANKS...like I mentioned I'm new to the LS and read about the "411" PCM in various write-ups....didn't realize that the truck has the 12200411 pcm already in it. Found some great reference sites that laid out the pin outs for the LT1 16188051 pcm, just had to eliminate wires not needed and the instructions had pin functions.

Want to build a stand alone harness for street rod deleting for example VATS, downstream O2 sensors, evap stuff, VIN is not a concern etc.

May take you up on the PCM programming - not into high performance ..just function and of course the LS looks.

Found these links:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...swap-faqs.html

http://www.ls2.com/boggs/torques/2002pcm.htm

The second one should fit my needs...it's for a 2002 PCM. I just need to figure out which circuits I don't need and there are 160 pins to study with that pcm. Of course will most likely keep the 4L80E on the back and need those circuits. The throttle body is a cable type..so that's a good start.

Update.. looked around the LS1Swap.com site a little deeper....appears it has the info I need to make the harness! They use the 5.3 truck harness pin outs....I assume the 6.0 truck is the same?
    Last edited by EDZIP; 12-02-2015 at 04:16 PM.

Yes, they are the same. You will see variations for trans difference, fuel tanks.... Just little options. It will work for yours no problem.