Thread: Laptop Bluetooth difficults

Laptop Bluetooth difficults

If anyone reading this can point me to a GOOD computer/laptop discussion board where I can discuss topics like this, please do so. I have not found any that I have really liked over the years, but I'm still hopeful.

Anyway, I have a Samsung laptop (Windoze 7 64 bit) with an Atheros AR5B225 WiFi/BT PCIE Half card installed. The WiFi works fine, however I seem to be having difficulties with the BT portion.

If I have the BT turned on in the quick settings menu (proprietary Samsung program) the BT icon will show up in the task manager, and the BT device will show up in the Device manager , however, I can not find, nor connect to any BT devices, nor can the laptop be seen by other BT devices.

Now, if I switch off the internal BT and plug in a USB BT module, it works as expected, connecting to other devices and discovering them without issue (internal BT has to be switched off though). I am using this USB BT device: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9434 (sourced from a different supplier, but same device).

Now, it would seem to me that the BT module in the PCIE card has failed and that replacing it with another card should fix, however, I've been fooled by that assumption before and would rather not waste money on parts that I don't need to.

I've uninstalled and then re-installed teh device through device manager. Pulled the card out and re-seated it. Restarted the laptop, basically everything I can think of from an IT perspective. The built in Windoze "troubleshooter" wasn't much help...

Any ideas from the computer/BT savvy people here before I go and buy another card? I would prefer to use the built in bluetooth, since I plan to use this to tune the Megasquirt once I install it in my car and want to use BT to do so, because well, I (will) have a BT adapter that works, and I can. lol
    Last edited by Six_Shooter; 11-15-2015 at 04:33 AM.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.