Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: $42 tuning

Fuel Injected!
    OK, so ZIF "issue" answered. :)

I played around with the switch settings on the autoprom, no combination made it work.

Moates asked me to send the bin I was using, to verify it I assume. There was mention in the email about the address, but as the email from them said, 99% of the time, thats not an issue when emulating. I haven't seen it yet with the '165 in any case.

I wasn't disabling the checksum, has anyone experienced issues with not doing so? Mark you mentioned AA, so I know that's what you meant, but until the truck is in my hands again, I'm not going to be able to disable it and try to emulate.

Just doesn't work right if you don't... in your $42.xdf it is called Codemask in scalers.

Attached Images Attached Images

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Anything wrong with disabling it in TP4 under tools>preferences>ALDL/Emulation> "disable checksum by uploading 0xAA to Offset 0x08" ?

I guess I am the only person who has never disabled the checksum and has never had a problem? I have emulated countless times back with the old 7747, and with my current 7427. Never disabled checksum, had no problems, and still dont even know how to disable it if I even wanted to.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Fuel Injected!
    Since it's so easy in TP4 to disable it, probably no reason NOT to for me, but since the bin contains it whether emulating or burning chips, I would expect the same result if it were a checksum issue. Then again, my understanding of failures due to checksum is that they are very difficult to track down, and disabling the checksum simply eliminates a variable.

I waver back and forth on the '165, just depends if I remember or not. Never had a problem I could pinpoint to that though.

The correct location to disable checksum in $42 is 0x04.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Alright, thanks for the heads up, I'll try that next time I get my hands on it!

Not that I'm expecting a miracle, but since I haven't tried disabling it yet, perhaps that will take care of it. Just have to wait and see I suppose.
    Last edited by dyeager535; 01-16-2012 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Lets try again

Quote Originally Posted by dyeager535 View Post
    Anything wrong with disabling it in TP4 under tools>preferences>ALDL/Emulation> "disable checksum by uploading 0xAA to Offset 0x08" ?
    That's probably what it was for? No such option in TPV5

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    I guess I am the only person who has never disabled the checksum and has never had a problem? I have emulated countless times back with the old 7747, and with my current 7427. Never disabled checksum, had no problems, and still dont even know how to disable it if I even wanted to.
    Nope, I've done it to, but I think TPV5 does it for you if you forget?

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    The correct location to disable checksum in $42 is 0x04.
    Even if you change to a new 27SF512 28 pin chip? I guess your right because it was a 24 pin...
    Typically, checksum disable or update checksum should be selected. Use a setting of “AA at 08” for 28 pin applications, and “AA at 04” for 24 pin ECMs.
    I just use mask id like picture above...

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    That's probably what it was for? No such option in TPV5

Nope, I've done it to, but I think TPV5 does it for you if you forget?
    No, it was removed from V5, due to too many people getting confused by the option. :shrug:

Even if you change to a new 27SF512 28 pin chip? I guess your right because it was a 24 pin...
    I just use mask id like picture above...
    It's code based location, not an EPROM based location. This is a location within the BIN, that is for mask ID.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    So I better update!

Long delay because the laptop died during tuning last time. :( Got it back up and running, better yet didn't lose anything, so got right back into tuning this weekend.

Condensing the story, the problem should have been known up front. Dad got the setup from a perfect 1989 Suburban in the wrecking yard, first clue something was up. It had an Edelbrock intake on it, so we knew the previous owner had monkeyed with it. He had already checked for vac. leaks, but when we looked at the TBI this weekend, the throttle set screw plug was missing. Followed the minimum air setting procedures widely available, surging and seemingly VSS-related issues are gone. So he's happy with how it runs.

Problem with ALDL was either the checksum being enabled, or the offset. Works now! But boy, does the 160 data rate suck. I tried to get him to get a different ECM, no dice.

BLM's at cruise were up near 145, consistent based on MPH. I globally increased the VE table readings from stock until the BLM's got into the 128 range (took a bunch of addition IMO, around 10). All seems right at cruise now.

Quick/lazy questions:

How do you know what VE cell you are in since TP4 only shows the MAP voltage? Am I expected to correlate the MAP voltage to kPa and with RPM, figure out what cell it's in? (say, for idle) That seems awfully basic to not be shown in the TP dash.

BLM's don't seem to lock when he is accelerating? I was under the impression they should lock when he starts getting into the throttle, and I didn't see that. Datalog is sparse in that regard (fairly heavy acceleration), but I did see that TPS volts went from .8 to 2 in two data points, and BLM's still changed.

Where should I be looking to enrich moderate and heavy acceleration? He doesn't max the BLM's when the truck is accelerating moderately, but it's in the 145 range. Since he tows, I know I need to bring that down. I also know a WBO2 is a necessity here, I'm going to have to settle for keeping the O2 on the rich side.

Glad you got it figured out.

If you had TPV5 and the newer XDF and ADX it is all there. I also did Data Tracing on them so you can open bin file and a bubble tells you exactly what cell your in while data logging. I have no idea how to use TPV4 anymore... the XDF for TPV4 I have is half as many paremeters as the one now available for TPV5. You may be able to open it in notpad and get the info to add to TPV4 xdf. What's nice about TPV5 is XDF and ADX can be changed in notpad, changes in TPV4 have to be made in program...

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    I'll have to load it up on the laptop. I suppose I'd be remiss if I didn't pay Mark for a TP5 license at the same time. Did for 4, which is one reason I'm hesitant to give it up. :)

On the $42 hiway mode patch...has anyone done that on a 454 bin? Does it require an ESC routine to work, since we aren't running a KS on this setup?

TunerPro V5 is the Best $39. you can spend! If he keeps making money we may even see OBDII stuff?

The Highway Lean Cruise is specfic to 1227747 bins so I don't know why it wouldn't work on 454? It also has an ESC Done patch to eliminate that forced knock test.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Well, got a bit more time with his setup. Got TP5 working along with datalogging/emulation, so took it for a drive.

Took the BPW up to 150, then brought the VE numbers down some. Still not where they should be to keep them from adding up to over 100, but I could certainly go higher on BPW if there is consensus that I should try.

In the attached datalog it stalled a couple of times, but he was running low on that tank, and couldn't restart it the last time, so I *think* those were due simply to him not switching tanks sooner.

Any input? Seems to run ok, but he thought it lacked some power from before I adjusted the BPW and VE table. This small computer screen makes it hard to really read the datalogs.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "Frankentruck" is a "1985" K5, TPI 350 '165/6E (Vortec Heads, SDPC2000 base, roller cam, headers), 32 Spline SM465, 205 w/VSS, 10b/14SF, 3.42's and 33" tires. Soon to be boxed frame, '87 sheetmetal, and TPI w/ '727

Will take a look later when I catch up, just got back. Do you have TP xdl file?

All my testing of BPW changes from stock without factoring fuel pressure have resulted in raising BPW and low end goes rich and high end goes lean. So I'm back to calcualting BPW from fuel pressure and not using BPW as a tuning adjustment tool. I have spent a lot of time on this in $42, not sure if playing with BPW/BPC can be used accuratly in others, but it does not work right in $42. Theory and all EFI tuning books I have read say no...

$42 has VE1 and VE2 adder. From factory they add up to over 100? D'oh! someone at GM really screwed up there! I went Dave W route now and add VE2 to VE1 and zero out VE2. If 95 won't do it then you need more fuel pressure and calculate BPW, then tune! TP will only allow 99.6 and that is to high. Little more pressure and getting high numbers down to 90 just makes them run better all RPMs...

-= =-