Thread: My project: Ares, a 1995 BMW 540i 6spd

Fuel Injected!

My project: Ares, a 1995 BMW 540i 6spd

I picked the car up non-running from craigslist. It would crank but not fire and was a gamble not knowing what was wrong. After blindly bypassing the anti-theft (EWSII), then changing the fuel pump. It turned out in reality someone replaced the water pump and re-installed the harmonic dampener with the crank trigger reluctor ring clocked incorrectly. So I aligned the harmonic dampener with the keyway pin, cranked and fired. Once running I really had my work cut out for me. Everything from exhaust leaks to a lose oil pump.

The day I towed the car home:

Attachment 9777

I've been wrenching on it:

Attachment 9778

But, let's focus on the computer system; I am familiar with OBDII GM flashing and I have spent my time tuning vettes, silverados and LSx transplants. This is my first experience with Bosch Motronic 3.3.1. The 484 DME was changed out to a 404 DME to bypass the EWSII. This also gave me the advantage to play around with chips. After spending time with an "ebay" performance eprom, I then installed a flashable Miller W.A.R. chip that allowed me to modify and flash my own tunes. Yet it didn't give me enough control to change what I needed and had zero data logging. So now I am playing with a Moates ostrich 2.0 emulator. Something I should have done from the get go.

My plan, once I am satisfied with the emulated tune is to remove the MAF sensor and convert to a MAF-translator PRO that is in turn AFR tracking by way of the innovate wideband sensor and gauge I've got installed. It's a crazy combination of piggyback ecu products. Ostrich into the 404 DME running an open loop tune, MAFT-PRO feeds into the MAF and TPS leads and uses an added GM 3bar MAP sensor. SplitSecond TA2-100 tach adapter converts a 12v injector signal into a 0v-5v pulse so the MAFT-PRO can read RPM. Innovate MTX-L gauge feeds into the MAFT-PRO for AFR tracking/adjustments.

Attachment 9781

Attachment 9780

Once the vehicle is driving as well as it can in a wideband closed loop "Speed Density" set up. I intend to build my own intake manifold utilizing a madmax style carburetor scoop. Why? Because I can and I want to.

Other things I've done: dual 2.5" exhaust with H-pipe, two Magnaflow glasspacks as resonators going into a single dual in/dual out Flowmaster Super 40 dumped before the differential. Sounds really good.

Early B40 "velocity stacks" intake manifold painted with duplicolor metalcast. Mustang Bosch GenIII 24lb injectors. M62 throttlebody. Aeromotive adjustable FPR.

RevShift 95A poly engine and transmission mounts.

Attachment 9779

Other soon to be mods: Car will need a clutch very soon, I have a ClutchNet 6 puck disc and "stage 2" 540ft-lb pressure plate. I've yet to order the JBR lightweight solid flywheel (OE is dual mass) and a quality throwout bearing.

I am a bit limited for rear gears seeing as the 540 has a larger differential. But as soon as I can find one I will go from the 2.81:1 open diff to a 3.15:1 limited slip.

I am also thinking of a M60/B44 hybrid (M62 4.4L short block, M60 4.0L heads)

I'll be here, lurking, soaking up as much info as I can about TunerPro, Ostrich, MAFT-Pro and OBD1 tuning. Asking questions along the way. Cheers -Mykk

Fuel Injected!
    Wrenchin' wrenchin' wrenchin'

Degreased, cleaned up, painted engine & trans. Degree'd cam timing, advancing intake cams 4 degrees and retarding exhaust cams 3 degrees. Lightweight 17lb aluminum flywheel replaces the OE 34lb dual mass flywheel. Kevlar full face disc. Shorty headers wrapped in DEI titanium heat wrap. Cleaning up and painting engine compartment. Replaced steering linkage, replacing leaking steering gearbox. Replacing control arms. Lowering front springs.

Fuel Injected!
    very nice project man, i have a bmw e36 with LS but always wanted a bmw V8 but here the manuals are pretty rare and the computer on 96+ ews/ews2 pain in the balls.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by NISANDA View Post
    very nice project man, i have a bmw e36 with LS but always wanted a bmw V8 but here the manuals are pretty rare and the computer on 96+ ews/ews2 pain in the balls.
    Thank you. This one had EWSII and I bypassed it as soon as I got the car to rule it out as a problem. I am playing with the EWS on an E36 Z3 for a customers car. It is a pain in the balls.

Slowly making progress on my project.

Fuel Injected!

Fuel Injected!
    Still tooling away on my project. Decided to revamp the exterior a bit. Wheels & tires, re-install a more traditional front end with the hood & hinge.

I've been focusing for months and months on the computer system, learning all I can about the Motronic code and pulling it apart to make my own XDF for TunerProRT.

I've been collecting OE chips, Performance Chips (Read with a Burn2) and downloaded tunes for the application so I can see how and what has changed between them.

From pulling apart the code I've found in excess of +120 MAPS in the tune. I've identified and labeled 28 of them thus far (and learning more everyday).