Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Quick question about auto trans ecm with 5speed manuel trans

Administrator
    Sorry... will look at this later. You can't usually add rows or columns, especially without a disassembly to work with. Fix the seals though... that's a big deal.

Fuel Injected!
    Ok 2 of those seals came loose, long story about oreillys auto parts and an incomplete gasket set, but good now.

I did track down the code 26, the grand am ecm did not like the fiero cooling fan relay. Fiero relay diagram showed a diode and resister for control where grand am had only resister, wasn't real sure so switched to regular relay and now only code 62 (3rd gear) so gonna start lookin at editing again tomorrow maybe.

I read some of that MAT thread you replied to, that's some technical stuff!!! BUT! I understood aLOT more of it Han I would have several weeks ago.....interesting!!!!!

Fuel Injected!
    Ok fixed valve seals and got frustrated now over it :-) starting over. Also been building from scratch a ford 9 inch with worm gear posi diff for my regal to take mind off this thing.

I ask you before about this xdf file being incomplete or having parameters labeled wrong, I think there are a few.
    Shouldnt selecting manuel trans in flags turn off auto trans gear fault codes? And I think mat spark correction is measured in Fahrenheit but labeled celcius. Starts loosing power at 75-80f and table starts retarding timing at what says 68c. Shouldn't it advance timing as mat temp rises??

Fuel Injected!
    Hey 1project2many I'm thinking this xdf is gonna b a problem. I've tried address and bit changes but no luck.

I just tried changing the stoichiometeric air fuel ratio scalar from 14.6 to 13.0 and its not doing what I expected. When set at 14.6 my afr meter stays within 4-6 points of 14.6 so stays between 15.1 and 14.4 maybe. With the scalar set to 13.0 it acts like it only loosened the range it can fall to, so now when I gas it afr meter goes into the 13's. It does run better but has a dead spot (power drop) maybe when it switches to power enrich spark table or something (just a guess) but picks back up. And Blm reads 111 where it read 128 after fuel ratio scalar change to 13.0

So that makes me think it's not labeled right either. I'm thinking about using a different, more popular ECM.

Fuel Injected!
    Here's something that is confusing.......how did I change an undefined item?? I can load other .bins in compare tool and some have as many as 6 undefined items in difference tool. That's the 2latest .bins. Why did it change???

Attachment 10598

Administrator
    Are you comparing the same base file? Are the files read from a chip or saved from your tuning software.

Fuel Injected!
    I started with a file I have been using that was saved in computer. I edited the saved file and saved it then burned it to a chip. I looked at it a day later in difference tool because a have seen that undefined item several times and was curious to see if it was there again. I changed 2 things, 1 using copy from compare button the other I changed by hand. I started from 1 stock bin read from a stock chip and when I edit a file I just add a short label like (goodblmpematup) then edit and add a number 1 then edit add a 2 and so on. I probably have 100 edited files all started from 1 :-). I do have a couple high out put bin files I have tried to get trans info from but haven't tuned on them. Pics are of the most recent bin compared to what I first started from.
    Attachment 10609
    Im about to put a new timing chain and tensioner on just to b dang sure and I think my cam towers may be warped so gonna disassimble that stuff and index the cams while I'm there. I will have to drill holes in cam towers to get a dial on the lifter, got a couple pairs, thinking I'm going to make a different header too. The one I have is probably more for mid range (from what I have read) it's a 4-2-1, unless I can find a formula to get the 4-2-1 working at high rpm I'm going to cut up a set of sbchevy truck headers and do a 4-1, still need formula to get length but I think it may b easier. IF I HAVE TIME AND I MAY FIND OUT IM COMPLETLY WRONG IT HAPPENS OFTEN!!! :-) So I'm really just playing around opening all the stuff I haven't yet and trying to familiarize myself with the software stuff. I forgot to turn off egr when I tuned ve table so I have to start over anyway. I have learned a lot sense I started though, cool stuff I love it!!

Thanks so much for all your help!!

Fuel Injected!
    I just read the chip again and now they are there again but different. This is same file I have been working and compare is right out of the autoprom from stock anmp chip
    Attachment 10618
    The pics below were of parameters that difference tool said was different but were same but I think I forgot to save them to file before using difference tool so that may be my mistake
    Last edited by BigBanks78; 06-15-2016 at 11:40 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    I compared a bin file from a 1990 high output with 5 speed manual trans to the 1990 low output bin file auto trans and there were hundreds of undefined items in difference tool. List was so long I about fell asleep going through it all.
    Last edited by BigBanks78; 06-15-2016 at 08:13 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Hey I tried the high output 5 speed bin file just now. I drove home for lunch and back with no check engine light!!! :-) Code 62 3rd gear error has been only 1 I'm getting so I'm guessing that I have the wiring harness correct. I've tried grounding auto trans wires 1 by 1 no luck. I have also copy compared shift light parameters with no luck.

Ok ok tell if this make sense; I'm going to set the flags before and after flag 62 in AMNP bin (auto trans) opposite the ANMS (manual trans high output bin) flags and see if there is an undefined item in between them and copy compare if there is. If so will the info in difference tool tell me the address or location of the 62 flag to add the flag to xdf??
    Last edited by BigBanks78; 06-15-2016 at 11:33 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Yahtzee!!!!!!! It worked!!!!!!!! The highest number code was a 45 and next flag wasn't anywhere near the code 45 so I compared difference tool list to xdf editor for code 45 and it was a b76 and there was a b79 then b9e I think so I copied the b79 from manual trans bin to my auto trans been. The cel will come on after 2-3 miles after I put new file in ECM but not this time!!!! I hated that light but I wasn't sure how that code would effect the rest of the file because it would turn the cooling fan on when code would set. So fan was on all the time. Wondered if it was going into abuse protect mode or something similar.

Now I have to learn how to identify all the other undefined items :-)

Thank you bro I really appreciate your help!! Couldn't have done it with out you!! :-)
    Attachment 10629Attachment 10630

Fuel Injected!
    Ok so those 2 undefined items come up every time I save the file wether I changed anything or not. All I have to do is hit the save button that looks like a floppy disk. I hit save button 3 times in a row changing nothing and continues to show up. Could this be the checksum id or something??? I hit copy from right to left each time in difference tool still changes right back.

Attachment 10693

Fuel Injected!
    Why hey it is sideways I don't know. I changed ae multiplier by .03 and saved it and now it changed to e4 and c7 and stays there?????

Attachment 10694