Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick question about auto trans ecm with 5speed manuel trans

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    If you roll through the list of trouble codes from the service manual and compare it to the trouble code on/off locations in TP you can often get fairly close. I'll see if I can add it when I get to a machine with TP.
    the add flag box had a type box or 2 that had letters a numbers in them and that's what confused me. It looked like the prom spacing type boxes when burning a chip, those had me scratching me head for a bit too.
    And thank you very much!!!

Administrator
    I would really like to know how to look at this stuff say hey here is some code with no parameter!! :-) what subject would that be? Computer or software engineering?
    We covered a lot of code work when I took computer engineering. Some of the classes overlapped with the software specific guys.

I had started a thread called Code:Learning Disassembly Assembly to help with questions like this. I figured it would be an "anything goes" place for questions about whatever in the code or programming was of interest. Take a look and feel free to post questions.

Fuel Injected!
    Ok I will! :-)

mind if I keep picking ur brain?? The add "new flag" box/window in the xdf editor has an "address (hex)" type box with 0x00 in it, and a "bit number" drop down with bit 0-7 and use mask options. Also has a type box next to drop down with 0x01 typed in it. Will I need to find somehow the hex address and bit#. Is that where the info is located in the bin.

Administrator
    Open up a trouble code. Pick a number as close to 62 as you can get. It will have an address and a bit#. Get the trouble code list from the service manual. Find the same trouble code you have open. For each higher trouble code in the manual, count down one bit. If you get to zero you're going to have to go to the next higher address and start at 7, then count down until you get to 62. This is not a guaranteed method but it usually gets you close enough to try.

I can't put TP on this computer so I can't look at the definition now but I'll do my best to try and get something up tonight.

Administrator
    Ok, so here we go. Pictures 1 and 2: Easiest way to add trouble code flags is to copy an existing code and edit the important stuff. Picture 3: After locating a list of factory codes, build a chart for proposed locations of new code flags by using other codes close by. Picture 4: Edit the copied trouble code by changing address (if needed), bit location, and code name. Picture 5: After inserting the code do a sanity check and see if the flag in the existing calibration makes sense. IOW if you find a "0" where you expect the code to be turned on, the location or bit location is probably wrong. Final test, turn off the code in a new calibration then see if it really is off, or if it comes back.

Fuel Injected!
    Ur freakin awesome!! I'm trying now but left my code list at shop so charging tablet to look in identifix for codes but I seen several in the list that were not in there, including 53 and 54 I think but I think I get what u r saying. If the address needs to b changed will that b a count down or up thing?

Administrator
    I found a page at http://www.troublecodes.net/gm/89_23a_mfi/ that has a code list. I added 53, 62, 65, and 66 to the XDF above. Remember, they may not be right!! Sometimes there are codes in the chip that aren't enabled and aren't listed in the service manual. Try it with 62 shut off and see if 62 really stay off. If it doesn't work try the next bit. If you have to move down one bit at a time until you get to 0 then move to the next higher address and start again at bit 7.

Fuel Injected!
    Ok thanks!!! Don't hesitate to ask me for anything in Mitchell or identifix you can't find or something from a pull a part yard. Yard near me sells ecm's for $15. I don't mind repaying your help or contributing to the community in some fashion!!!!

Administrator
    Thanks. At $15 an ecm I'd end up with a pile of 'em.

Fuel Injected!
    I do have a pile!!! But i have needed them lol!!!

I am trying the xdf, I will let you know what it does :-)

Fuel Injected!
    Ok still have the code I'll try changing bit #

Fuel Injected!
    Ok I tried all bit # compared to a supposed 5 speed bin and all were same so stopped to compare adx edit info with xdf to see if had something that would point me in a direction. I found that address changes every so many codes, here's some pics of adx. I changed xdf to 76 from 75 in your xdf mod based on 42 and 43 is and address change and changes again before 62.....is my thinking anywhere in the ball park??

edit I'm going to ground 2nd state sw wire, thinking 3rd too, shift light hooked up but does not come on all other auto trans wires cut. I have code 26 and 62, 62 is 3rd gear, 26 quad driver A code, quad A controls 2nd, shift light, coolant fan, a/c, anyway going over wiring to make sure.
    Last edited by BigBanks78; 12-02-2015 at 07:44 PM.

Administrator
    Good idea to look at the ADX. That shows the bit number for the code so all we need to do is determine what location it's in. I can try and look at the information this evening when I'm at a machine that runs TP.

Fuel Injected!
    Ok wires are all good and those couple grounded (I figured 62 would come back after I got going down road and it did) and 26 comes right on. Even switched ecm's still come on......going back to turning code off, I'll try what I figure will b right 1 and turn off, c what happens

In the xdf editer can a table have rows and columns added? Like my mat spark ad vs mat vs map, the lowest value temp wise is 44 degrees Celsius. I'm getting 12 degrees Celsius.

Fuel Injected!
    Ok so no luck yet, I haven't tried every change but most.
    I had to use 4 questionable valve seals in build and I think they came loose, I revved it up a little after trying new chip and blew white smoke when engine deceled so will b fixing that before I continue :-(