Thread: 1983 5.0 carb ECM 1225450

Fuel Injected!

1983 5.0 carb ECM 1225450

The parts kid at work has a shitbox 1983 olds that became a random no-start.
    After him and some lube guys messed with it a few days I took a quick look and found no spark.
    After consulting diagram for dizzy I noticed it was ecm controlled.
    Sure enough found ALDL and ECM so plugged in scanner.
    i'm getting codes 24,34,41 and 55.
    (no VSS,no CKP,no MAP and ECU ADU error respectively).
    That last one pretty much condemns the ECM for me pretty sure,still tracking down a good code definition.
    I can burn the chip here and plan to try one for the heck of it but doubtful it'll help.
    Any chance someone has messed with this type of system before?
    I've heard of the ecm controlled quadrajet stuff but never ran into one.
    Any advice or links would be appreciative.
    Also,I remember someone on here a couple years ago wanting to get ahold of the .bin for one so i'll post it up (BCC ID CDB).
    Last edited by Playtoy_18; 10-29-2015 at 01:43 AM.

Carb and Points!
    If you disconnect the 4 wire connector that goes to the distributor it should still start and run.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobSS96dcm View Post
    If you disconnect the 4 wire connector that goes to the distributor it should still start and run.
    Those old systems started in open loop with a fixed dwell to the mixture control bases on temp. I do not see an ECM keeping the thing from running even if you were to unplug it and remove it. The ECM in my 88 or 89 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham 307 died completely and the only thing that happened is it ran a little rich, the check engine light stayed on solid all the time, and the lockup quit working. Fuel mileage tanked a little but it still ranwell.
    Last edited by Fast355; 10-29-2015 at 06:31 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    I had the same thought yesterday so before I left I had him unplug the 4wire and try but nothing.
    I've got an ecm on the way anyway ($11,gotta love ebay) but guess I need to continue diag before it gets here.
    The no CKP code has no effect? I'm guessing that signal is coming from the distributor? I'll look at it further today when I get a chance.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Playtoy_18 View Post
    I had the same thought yesterday so before I left I had him unplug the 4wire and try but nothing.
    I've got an ecm on the way anyway ($11,gotta love ebay) but guess I need to continue diag before it gets here.
    The no CKP code has no effect? I'm guessing that signal is coming from the distributor? I'll look at it further today when I get a chance.
    I am thinking you may have a pickup coil or module issue.

Fuel Injected!
    Got it to cough a bit and got it to spark.
    have fuel,have air,have spark so need timing.
    yanked the cap off and found the rotor contact bent/plastic broken as well as the center electrode on the cap laying on the rotor.
    "They" installed a new distributor so guess they manhandled it.
    Put the old cap and rotor on,retried but only got a cough with dizzy turned all the way passenger side.
    So pulled it up and moved over a tooth and didn't help.
    i'm gonna start from the beginning with number 1 and stab the dizzy,go from there.
    Also need to check firing order,he said they moved wires over one at a time but...
    funny though with timing out i'm not getting any backfiring through intake.

Electronic Ignition!
    Five liter Olds or five liter Chevrolet?

Back in the day, we did a lot of timing chains in those Olds 307's. It was mandatory to pull the oil pans because of all the plastic debris from the gear.

Administrator
    Ugh... thanks for the reminder.

Next time someone begins to go off about the "good old days" just go ahead and slap 'em for me.

Fuel Injected!
    Should be an olds,somebody already mentioned that here but I thought it was the early stuff. Not messed with alot of v8 olds stuff,just enough to know BOP stuff don't like to fit up with chevy stuff.
    Didn't get a chance to mess with it today,but had the parts kid pull a few plugs so I can check compression.
    Gonna try and go in tomorrow to pull a dash so will check the gear thing out then,thanks.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
    Five liter Olds or five liter Chevrolet?

Back in the day, we did a lot of timing chains in those Olds 307's. It was mandatory to pull the oil pans because of all the plastic debris from the gear.
    Same thing happened with the 305s too! The upper timing gear was nylon toothed. Somewhere around 2000 the timing gear went in the 1983 G20 Van. In about 04 it spun 2 rod bearings. Turns out the shop that changed the timing chain left all those gear teeth in the pan to find their way into the oil pump pickup. Oil pressure gauge showed pressure despite the fact the rod bearings were starving. Took me a good while to figure out what all the little plastic triangles were.