Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EDIS with 7427 possible?

Electronic Ignition!

EDIS with 7427 possible?

I want to run ford edis on a cpi swaped Toyota. Just wondering if anyone ever figured out how to use a GM ecm without swapping to Mega squirt.

No, at least not easily.

The universal ICM that some guys from delcohacking I think it's called EFIhacking now) made could be used.

Why not use the Northstar ignition (assuming V8)?
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Electronic Ignition!
    All the info I could dig up on the n* dis sounded as if the crank trigger was holding up progress. The edis trigger was simple so I stared down that path. Are there n* triggers available now?

All home made. No comercially available Northstar trigger wheel that I'm aware of.

In comparison, it's much easier for most people to make the trigger wheel than to develop the electronics to interface the GM ECM to the EDIS ICM. ;)
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Electronic Ignition!
    Agree, I also failed to mention its a CPI v6. I'm assuming that I would use "shortstar" components?

V6 makes things easier...

The Shortstar ignition system is pretty difficult to use, at least if it's how I believe it is like the later Northstar ignition.

Anyway, with a 6 cylinder you can use either the 60 degree V6 ignition which requires a simple 7x (sometimes referred to as a 6+1 wheel), or the ignition system from a 3800. I don't know whet trigger wheel the 3800 has, I've only used the 60 degree V6 DIS systems on my engines.

The 60 degree V6 trigger wheel requires only one sensor and liek I said a simple wheel that some people have made with basic hand tools.

Electronic Ignition!
    Great! Thanks for the info. One more question...will this require any bin file changes?

Yes. There is an offset of the EST signal needed. 60* for the 60 Degree V6 DIS and 30 degrees for the 3800 DIS. There are a few ways to do this, but your application might have some specific ways to do it.

Super Moderator
    3800 DIS setup requires 2 crank sensors(or a dual-pattern sensor as the stock one is), one with a normal interval 18X reluctor and a 3X reluctor that has different slot widths for cylinder ID purposes. I believe it also runs a cam sensor but that shouldn't be critical to ICM operation.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Administrator
    With both GM systems, the ecm only needs the min, max, and offset values. The ignition module handles all timing functions. The 3800 cam signal is used by the ecm to synchronize injection and it can be omitted.

Electronic Ignition!
    Sounds like the biggest hurdle will be the wheel. Does anyone have pictures or info they could share? Is this reluctor wheel magnetic? Sensor placement is what degrees from tdc? Would a factory 3800 wheel fit in the later model engines factory location?

Administrator
    The 3800 and earlier 3.8 wheel is part of the balancer. I'm not sure what engine you're working on. Is it a 4.3 CPI?? What's wrong with the distributor??

This page shows some info for a 22RTE with DIS and a GMECM. The same approach would work with a 4.3.http://home.metrocast.net/~shannen/y...ECM/gmecm.html

Electronic Ignition!
    Nothing wrong with it now but these tbi/cpi/tpi distributor pickups are trash and the 4.3 fits very close to the firewall in this Toyota swap.

I can't find any really good information on the 3800 trigger system, other than it seems to use a 3x wheel and a 18x wheel. From the one screen shot of the waveforms it seemed like one notch might be wider on the 3x wheel and there there might also be a timing offset between the two wheels.

I'd like to find more info on the 3800 trigger system just for information sake, and because I have a couple of those modules in my stash. I think I'll stick with the 60 degree V6 DIS though, it seems easier to set up hardware wise, but just requires more offset in the bin. The 60 degree v6 ignitions are plentiful too, in my area more plentiful than the 3800 ignition systems.

Electronic Ignition!
    Much rather use the 7x dis system. Six shooter do you have the info on tdc position of sensor and what degrees everything is.