Thread: Quick spark plug question on what plug to use in tbi conversion for sbc.

Fuel Injected!

Quick spark plug question on what plug to use in tbi conversion for sbc.

So i did some googling but did not come across a clear answer. Engine is a 1978 350 low compression. I am sticking with standard copper core ac delcos but i want to know whether i should use the spark plugs recommended for the engine when it was running a carburetor or if i should use the recommended plugs from a 350 tbi equipped truck? I am not sure if the different heads warrant different plugs ie (i should use the plugs recommended for my heads rather than the tbi plugs because i dont have tbi heads) or of the whole efi system requires different plugs because if how the fuel is delivered or something? I hope thats understandable. Thanks

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by joegreen View Post
    So i did some googling but did not come across a clear answer. Engine is a 1978 350 low compression. I am sticking with standard copper core ac delcos but i want to know whether i should use the spark plugs recommended for the engine when it was running a carburetor or if i should use the recommended plugs from a 350 tbi equipped truck? I am not sure if the different heads warrant different plugs ie (i should use the plugs recommended for my heads rather than the tbi plugs because i dont have tbi heads) or of the whole efi system requires different plugs because if how the fuel is delivered or something? I hope thats understandable. Thanks
    Joe,

Stick with the factory recomeended plug style but drop 2 heat ranges. Most trucks run a R45TS back in those days. TBI engines usually run a 43 heat range.

Fuel Injected!
    Cool thanks.I'll use the lower heat range plug for my head.