Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 383 TPI Question

Hog
    Thanks, that is the kind of input I was looking for. I am not trying to build a drag truck, just something that will tow a travel trailer over the rocky mountains without breaking a sweat.

Dave, I hope it doesn't drift too far. LOL. I chose an aluminum head so that a 9.5 compression ratio didn't cause problems. I know that it can be done with iron heads, but they usually can't handle as much timing as an aluminum head will at the same CR. If a performer RPM manifold with EGR will do the job, I am fine with that. I just don't want to completely choke off the top end of an otherwise nice build.

Fast, thanks for the feedback.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

I'm thinking something like the pic below.

dave w

Wow, nice stuff, but way outside my current build parameters. I am trying to keep it a little simpler. I am leaning towards an Edelbrock Performer manifold right now, I don't think I really need much else. I am now looking for a machinist to do the block, The only guy I trusted locally passed away a couple of years ago. I will probably take it down to Redding, CA for the machine work, I have some connections that can steer me to a reliable machine shop there. I have to drive down fairly soon and pick up a dead tranny to get it out of the guys shop. It wasn't worth fixing. (it is a ford tranny, not for my truck, but one my son is putting back together to sell)
    Last edited by jim_in_dorris; 10-31-2015 at 07:47 AM.

The Edelbrock TBI Performer will have the two center mounting bolt holes drilled at 72 degrees to fit TBI heads from 1986 - 95. The older pre 1986 heads will have the center mounting bolt holes drilled at 90 degrees.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    The Edelbrock TBI Performer will have the two center mounting bolt holes drilled at 72 degrees to fit TBI heads from 1986 - 95. The older pre 1986 heads will have the center mounting bolt holes drilled at 90 degrees.

dave w
    Not a problem to fix with a drill and some time.

http://www.northernautoparts.com/part/pz-52110

I think it was weiand that had the shims I used back in the day when I ground on tye TBI intake and put it on my old 83 heads.

Thanks Dave, I was aware of the center bolt mounting angle differences, but it is nice to be reminded of it. And Fast, thanks for the link, I might need it.

So here is a "What If" idea...

What if you were to install the L31 Vortec 24x crank trigger wheel and L31 Vortec timing cover while the engine is being rebuilt ... Maybe in the future, you could upgrade to an OBD2 EFI System without having to take the front of the engine off to install the OBD2 crank trigger system. https://www.eficonnection.com/eficon...px?ItemId=1355 The link includes the 1x distributor, which you could purchase later on.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Dave, have you done any dyno testing with a Stealth Ram intake. If I was building a small-block I might pick it just because it looks cool as much as anything but it seems to have decent length runners.

Would you do the 4x or the 24x. Is it worth it to get the coil/cylinder vs using the distributor?

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    Dave, have you done any dyno testing with a Stealth Ram intake. If I was building a small-block I might pick it just because it looks cool as much as anything but it seems to have decent length runners.

Would you do the 4x or the 24x. Is it worth it to get the coil/cylinder vs using the distributor?
    I don't have dyno experience with much of anything, except a 330 RWHP 5.7 Liter TBI engine I tuned a few years ago.

4x vs. 24x is not a simple answer. The 4x has factory 5.7 liter flash files to leverage tuning with, the 24x is mostly a from "Scratch" flash file to build. I've done both 4x and 24x systems, with excellent results with both. The 4x system is typically less expensive and simpler, less fabrication / fewer parts.

dave w

Administrator
    I've tuned a stealth ram equipped engine, both on a dyno and at the track. It's a strong performer in the midrange. The car the engine was in ultimately would run low tens with poor traction.

Well, it looks like I am going to have to put a temporary engine in the truck ASAP. It is getting noisy and I heard a rod knock Sunday. I have a 283 with about 40k on the clock that I can stick in with a cam change. My quick question is can I modify the stock TBI intake manifold to bolt to the 882 heads that are currently installed on the 283? I know that I can put a pre TBI manifold on centerbolt heads, does it also work the other way? I am trying to do the swap without spending too much money because I really don't want to derail the 383 project, I just don't want to have to walk for 6 months while I build the new engine. (That's about how long it will take with my budget.) I will also have to build a bin and get a chip burned. that should be no problem, but I may need to find somebody to burn a chip after I get the bin built.

You can modify the TBI intake to fit the 882 heads.

You could use a 4 barrel intake on the 882 heads, and a TBI adapter plate.

I once installed a set of early 80's 305 (1.84" intake valves) heads on a 283, which yielded about 9:1 compression. I'm not up to speed with 305 TBI heads, but maybe the 305 TBI heads will be a budget option / labor saving option for your 283?

dave w