Thread: Need help making my tune work with 2 bar map

Carb and Points!

Need help making my tune work with 2 bar map

I have a 1990 Chevy Beretta.

I swapped in a 3.1L LG5 turbo v6 and a 4T60-HD transmission. and did some modifications.
    I removed the EGR, made it a 160 degree thermostat that works, and it has air conditioning.
    Had the turbo upgraded from T25 to T28 as well.

The engine and trans came out of a 1990 Pontiac Grand Prix McLaren.

I made a tune for the Beretta, but I learned that it will not work because the Beretta EPROM code is made for a 1 Bar MAP.
    My car has a 2 Bar MAP installed. The Grand Prix EPROM runs the car.

I have the car set to 11 PSI at the moment, I plan to up this to 13-14 PSI later. (I do not plan on exceeding the 2 bar map capabilities).
    I have been using tuner pro up to this point. I was told that $8D is my best bet, however it does not have enough columns to be able to go up to 180-190 kpa in increments of 10, and it has extra items that I do not understand how to change.

The reason for my post is I need help making my bin file work with a 2 bar map and see boost up to 14.7 PSI.

I attached a copy of the bin file I have been making, feedback and assistance is welcome.
    I have no prior expierence with any of this, I have been working mostly from 2 working examples to make a combined working version.
    Last edited by GHOSTOWLGRID; 10-10-2015 at 11:46 PM.

I'm thinking the 2 bar map output is 0 - 5vdc, just like the 1 bar map output is 0 - 5vdc. I wonder what the voltage output from the 2 bar map is when the boost is 5psi, 10 psi, 15 psi? I think its possible to calculate a conversion 2 bar voltage output vs 1 bar voltage output. Maybe you can do a bench test experiment using low pressure compressed air and a hand held vacuum pump? Using TunerPro RT you can see what the 1 bar map sensor output voltage and Kpa to know vacuum applied to a 1 bar map sensor. As a wild guess, maybe the 2 bar map sensor voltage with 10 psi boost is the same voltage as 85 Kpa is on a 1 bar map sensor. With a 2 bar vs 1 bar conversion calculated, the VE table can tuned as if was a 1 bar map. If for example, if 10 psi actually did convert to 1 bar 85 Kpa then you could add or subtract fuel to 85 Kap as needed for the correct fuel.

dave w

Like I've been telling you on 60degree, forget about this avenue, it's a bodge at best, and will only cause more problems than it solves.

Using the Beretta BIN with a 2 BAR MAP, the ECM will believe that barometric pressure is around 50 kpa, which effects a whole slew of calculations and corrections, and can cause issues that may only crop up at the worst times.

Either use the TGP BIN, or as I suggested move over to $58 or $59, since they have much more complete definitions and are very capable of running your engine and running it well.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    Like I've been telling you on 60degree, forget about this avenue, it's a bodge at best, and will only cause more problems than it solves.

Using the Beretta BIN with a 2 BAR MAP, the ECM will believe that barometric pressure is around 50 kpa, which effects a whole slew of calculations and corrections, and can cause issues that may only crop up at the worst times.

Either use the TGP BIN, or as I suggested move over to $58 or $59, since they have much more complete definitions and are very capable of running your engine and running it well.
    Yah, I had posted this about the same time and I forgot I posted it.
    Different forums, more exposure for the question was the plan.

I still think it would be neat to try and take the code apart and possibly figure out how to make it work though, even if it is a lot of work.