Thread: New guy to forum

Carb and Points!

New guy to forum

I am new to fuel injection swaps. I have raced dirt drags and speed pit mud runs for years and can make a holly double pumper do what ever you want but I have little knowledge on efi swaps. Joined the forum to hopefully be able to gain knowledge into what most people on here, I would assume would tell me is and easy swap. I am building a street / play toy truck for my daughter. She will be 16 in a year and 1/2. The truck is a 4wd 86 chevy swb it have a carburated 350 in it now but. I have a complete 93 chevy 4wd TBI 350 and 4l60. My goal is to build a 383 stroker with mild cam and convert it to efi minus the egr and cat. Building the engine no problem getting the harness modified is doable sure I will have questions. But tuning and engine with a computer is what worries me.

Carb and Points!
    I forgot to mention I also have access to a throttle body from a BBC if anyone thought the SBC throttle body would be to small. I also have considered injecting a 500 caddy in this truck if that is feasible. I would like to retain the lock up feature of the torque convertor also.

Welcome. Where are you located?

Carb and Points!
    Southern Ohio

I would use the BBC throttle body, even on a 350.

The caddy engine can be TBI injected, using a 7 pin module / HEI distributor.

The 1227747 TBI ECM is a good computer to learn TBI with.

Are planning on burning your own chips?

dave w

Carb and Points!
    I will probably go with the 383 I will have to look and see what # ecm I have. I don't know what is required to burn a chip as of yet. I would like at some point to be able to do my own yes. We offroad along with racing and I could see it being nice to be able to burn my own chips for trail vehicles.

The EFI learning curve will be steep, but very doable!

Do you have an OBD1 TBI vehicle you can start learning EFI with? Having a running driving OBD1 TBI vehicle will help with learning TBI.

dave w

Carb and Points!
    No I don't have one. The oldest fuel injected vehicle I have is a 2000 jeep Cherokee. It is a trail jeep at that. I have a pretty good understanding of how injection works what I don't understand and I could see how having a running vehicle would help is adjusting the parameters in the computer. I originally was going to put a carb on it and go. And before it is all done I still might. I am going to be on a tight time table. I have body work to do to it also I am swapping over to 3/4 ton axles and doing a 56" spring swap in the frt for suspension flex.

Perhaps a mostly plug-n-play TBI system would be good option for you?

An alternative to chip burning would be "Chip Emulation" with the Moates.net Ostrich 2.0 http://www.moates.net/ostrich-20-the....html?cPath=64 which would allow parameter changes real time even when driving! You can use TunerPro RT software to edit parameters and upload / download to the Ostrich 2.0.

dave w

Carb and Points!
    What are the draw backs to Chip Emulation ? Also I have been reading about the Android App ALDLDROID have you worked with that any ? I would kind of like to run that for a dash if possible.
    Thanks for helping direct me.

Fuel Injected!
    I don't know of any real drawbacks to emulation except for cost. ALDLdroid does work well as a dash, especially with the '93 and up TBI ECMs, it's a little slow with the 7747. I use it for my gauges on my TBI350 280Z. It won't have oil pressure or fuel gauges without some extra work, though.
    1973 K-5 Blazer, TBI 350, TH400, 1 ton axles & 38" SSRs'
    1975 280Z, TBI 350, 700R4
    1953 M-38A1, TBI Buick 231
    1951 Ford Panel, 5.3 with 4L80E

Carb and Points!
    I guess if it was simpler to do I could swap the complete 93 tbi motor in the chassis get the egr and post cat o2 turned off. Play with that till I was more comfortable then build the 383 and inject it. My original plan was to get the 383 running correctly on a carb then switch it to injection. I was going to do the TBI setup since I happened to have one laying around. I also considered using a megasquirt but I have heard gm computers reprogramed work better. And part of switching to EFI with the gm ecm is that I can have it lock up the convertor like it would have from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnyardengineering View Post
    My original plan was to get the 383 running correctly on a carb then switch it to injection.
    That's still a good plan. Maybe plan a fuel delivery system that is EFI ready, or can easily be converted to an EFI fuel delivery system once you take the EFI plunge.

dave w