Thread: 1993 GMC 1500 5.7 engine swap

Electronic Ignition!

Arrow 1993 GMC 1500 5.7 engine swap

Afternoon gearheads! I own a 1993 GMC 1500 extended cab that I've owned since it was built. Years back the original 5.7 self detonated and was replaced with a 1968 Chevy 350 that I had been running in my 1972 Firebird. What originally was going to be a fun project of modifying the programming in the 93 to accept the differences of the new 5.7 liter (slightly modified...ported and upsized injectors on TBI, mild RV cam, ported and polished intake manifold and heads) has turned into more hair pulling than anything. Originally bought the APU1 from Craig Moates back I believe in 2008 and with a little help from Craig and Mark Mansur got some initial tuning going on it. However life happened..by life I mean four kids, and it became a sitting in the driveway project until a few days ago when I decided it was time to try and relearn what I had forgot... I know Craig and Mark will be disappointed in me if they happen to read this! Anyway you can bet you'll be hearing from me as I attempt to dig through all the YouTube, EFI Dynamic, Gearhead and many other forums trying to remember how to set up my APU1 and Tuner Pro RT. It makes my head hurt thinking about the size of the brains that read this forum... God bless you guys!

Which computer do you have in the 93 GMC?

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks Dave for the welcome.The ECM tag shows 16168625 BDJW. Attached to that tag on a perforated edge is a tag not stuck down that reads 16186695 BDJW. Any clue what the unattached one means? I've downloaded from Tuner Pro the mask $E6 and the xdf and adx associated as well as the ANZA, APYP and ARAP bins. I've gone through all the YouTube videos And forums, that one can ingest for around 12 hours and for the life of me I cannot seem to get Tuner Pro RT with APU1 to connect to my truck computer, with the exception of yesterday morning for about 10 seconds.

Since you were last active with tuning, PC's have changed, namely the absence of the 9DB serial com port. It's been quite a while now that PC's are built with USB ports only. Software has changed also, Windows XP was the norm back then, now Windows 7, 8, & even 10 are the norm.

Maybe you need a new set of PC "tools" to come up to speed with? Tools like "Device Manager", "Universal Serial Bus controller".

Maybe install the CDM20824_Setup.exe directly from http://www.moates.net/usb-driver-p-215.html with the APU1 plugged into your PC?

Most tutorials for TunerPro RT avoid talking about Tools like "Device Manager", "Universal Serial Bus controller".

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    Hey Dave,
    Running Win XP specifically for that reason since I know XP likes this sort of stuff. The APU1 is connecting to the laptop and all my Tuner Pro markers at the bottom of the screen are showing connected and are green or blue showing everything is good. The emulator cable is connected to my GP1 adapter inside the ECM as it calls for; with the red ground and 12 pin away from the ZIF handle per Craig's video. Even the sounds and lights from the dash are acknowledging the presence of what it thinks is a chip. So it seems that the computer is connecting to the APU1 and ECM fine but I still get no data changes/feeds in the "Item Lists" when I turn the key on, with the exception of yesterday, for 10 seconds I had data feeding. I am going to try a couple more things on Thursday evening when I get off work and will give a more detailed rundown of all laptop installations, settings and APU1 connections. The frustrating part is I had it running "ok" a few months again then decided it would try something new and wiped the chip . Thanks for your time I really appreciate every suggestion.

I don't have any new suggestions.

I use the Moates.net Ostrich 2.0.

I find it interesting, you did not save the .bin file had been using?

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    I agree Dave. Though I would not call it interesting...I call it dumb. I thought I had saved it but when I switched laptops (other one failed), I couldn't seem to find the .bin that I had used. Either way I am back to square one trying to work through. Found a couple of articles last night that EM posted a few years ago and am trying some other things today. I will keep you posted. Please bear with me, thanks for the patience.

The $E6 mask should be correct for your ECM, but it appears you're using the $6E xdf and bin. These aren't compatible.
    Last edited by Roadknee; 10-10-2015 at 10:20 PM.
    1995 K1500, Stock LO5, 4L60e, 3.73 gears, 265/75-16 tires, L&L Products Ultra-flow headers into 2-1/2" Y-pipe and 3" single exhaust

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks for the reply. Sorry about the delay in getting back into the forum. The good news is I purchased a new Dell laptop running Windows 7 and it connected up to my Moates APU1 using Tuner Pro RT without any issues. Emulating is green, Auto prom hardware loaded running at 11 to 14 Hertz with no errors and the DA is connected. However it is not getting data or is at least getting spurts of data through the ALDL. I am running Tuner pro RT. The mask is $E6 bin BDJZ, xdf is E6-TPV5_v250, ADX is 201_E6_v250. When I turn on the key I get a service engine soon light which from what I read tells me that I have a good connection.

Try using the attached .adx.

dave w

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks Dave W