Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 1985 Caddy Limo - Engine swap with transmission issues

Fuel Injected!
    It is not changed, glad you notice it on time.
    I hate tunerpro with its triple save bin feature, so sorry about that.

Will upload fixed bin soon.
    Do you need any other features changed.

Fuel Injected!
    fixed bin

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by kur4o View Post
    fixed bin
    Thanks! I'll give it a swing.

I've started making a master list of all the things I'll need to turn off (or confirm off):

VATS
    A/C
    Traction Control
    Oil Life
    Oil Level
    VSS Output
    Air Pump
    Corvette related items (should be off by default)
    Skip Shift Enable (should be off by default)
    Speed Density Enable (should be off by default)
    Shift Light Diagnostic (should be off by default)
    Transmission Slip (should be off by default)
    CCP Enable at Low TPS (should be off by default) - This came up in prior posts. Researching.

Should I turn off the following?:
    EGR - Mine functions but I'm not sure if this needs to be turned off if other emissions items are disabled (air pump, etc)
    "Transient" Fuel Routine - This came up in prior posts. Researching.

Anything I'm missing?

Fuel Injected!
    From the list you need to turn off only AC and VSS output errors and oil life and level errors if are enabled.

If you`ve removed Charcoal canister from engine. Turn off CCP error and plug the hole.
    If you leave the valve just make sure it`s plugged and cable is attached.
    Don`t touch egr if it`s in working order and leave transient fuel enabled.

Fuel Injected!
    Code 97 is the VSS output I believe with 24 being the one for the sensor.

When you remove the CCP solenoid you don't disable the transient fuel routine. You can turn-off the code and leave the PCM still attempting to purge the canister even though it's not doing anything useful. The side effect is that the fueling is wrong during CCP operation. Or, you can also set the CCP Enable - Min Coolant Temp to max and the Special BLM Cells - Enable Max CCP% to minimum. The side effect is the PCM no longer uses the special BLM cells. The point is don't just turn the CCP Enable - Min Coolant Temp to maximum thinking that disables the CCP because this locks the PCM into using the special BLM cells.

Does the Limo have a charcoal canister? If it does, then hook the purge line from the canister to the CCP solenoid and do nothing in the programming.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    Check Injector flow rate which should be around 24lb/hr and cylinder volume which should be 717ml/cylinder for a 350. I can't recall offhand, but one shows as 0 when you open an $EEB bin using a $EE definition. I think the other one also shows too high a number.
    Wow, yeah this bin file is way out of whack...

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by kur4o View Post
    From the list you need to turn off only AC and VSS output errors and oil life and level errors if are enabled.

If you`ve removed Charcoal canister from engine. Turn off CCP error and plug the hole.
    If you leave the valve just make sure it`s plugged and cable is attached.
    Don`t touch egr if it`s in working order and leave transient fuel enabled.
    We transplanted the Roadmaster's CCP into the Caddy, so barring any dumb installation errors we should be good.

Noted regarding EGR and Transient fuel. Looks like the original bin in the PCM had CCP, EGR and Transient Fuel all turned off.
    Last edited by BlackBettyLimo; 10-15-2015 at 07:51 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Code 97 is the VSS output I believe with 24 being the one for the sensor.

When you remove the CCP solenoid you don't disable the transient fuel routine. You can turn-off the code and leave the PCM still attempting to purge the canister even though it's not doing anything useful. The side effect is that the fueling is wrong during CCP operation. Or, you can also set the CCP Enable - Min Coolant Temp to max and the Special BLM Cells - Enable Max CCP% to minimum. The side effect is the PCM no longer uses the special BLM cells. The point is don't just turn the CCP Enable - Min Coolant Temp to maximum thinking that disables the CCP because this locks the PCM into using the special BLM cells.

Does the Limo have a charcoal canister? If it does, then hook the purge line from the canister to the CCP solenoid and do nothing in the programming.
    I think I'm following you on the CCP stuff. Since I transplanted the canister I should ok to leave everything as is (edit: more like the file Kur4o has supplied). I should probably test the CCP solenoid to see if it's working properly.

Regard VSS, yes, I'm only disabling the Output (error 97), but leaving the one for Error 24 set to on.
    Last edited by BlackBettyLimo; 10-15-2015 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Clarification

Fuel Injected!
    Kur4o, Here's my attempt at further adjusting your bin file in TunerPro, attached.

Here's the log that seems to be saved along side the bin file:
    10/14/2015 22:36:22 Flag: Vss Signal Diagnostic (Error 97) changed from Set to Not Set..
    10/14/2015 22:42:52 Flag: A/C Press Sensor Diagnostic (Error 66) changed from Set to Not Set..
    10/14/2015 22:42:57 Flag: A/C Press Sensor Diagnostic (Error 67) changed from Set to Not Set..
    10/14/2015 22:43:01 Flag: A/C Relay Diagnostic (Error 68) changed from Set to Not Set..
    10/14/2015 22:43:05 Flag: A/C Clutch Diagnostic (Error 69) changed from Set to Not Set..
    10/14/2015 22:43:10 Flag: A/C Clutch Relay Diagnostic (Error 70) changed from Set to Not Set..
    10/15/2015 00:08:59 Flag: Fan 2 Diagnostic (Error 78) changed from Set to Not Set..
    10/15/2015 00:11:11 Flag: Oil Level Diagnostic (Error 96) changed from Set to Not Set..
    10/15/2015 00:11:15 Flag: Oil Life Diagnostic (Error 95) changed from Set to Not Set..

I also ran the Difference Tool and noticed that the T-side Checksum had also changed (from 42CO to 428C) for some reason. Since I used your file as the base I'm not sure what would make that shift. I didn't touch that parameter.

Any ideas?

Fuel Injected!
    The checksum changes any time you make a change. It's a check calculated using the rest of the bin to ensure the bin is valid.

Fuel Injected!
    The checksum changes any time you make a change. It's a check calculated using the rest of the bin to ensure the bin is valid.
    Ah, got it. Thank you!

Fuel Injected!
    Gentlemen,

You have succeeded in helping yet another wretched soul, such as myself, solve the mysteries of their technical shortcomings.

The limo shifts! Thank GearHead EFI, it shifts.

I trekked out to the car today armed with the adjusted Kur4o file ("fixed_plus", above), a new/ used PCM, and a lot of crossed fingers.

First, I uploaded the new bin onto the old PCM, and took the car for a quick test run. Within 15 feet I could feel 2nd gear shift (a bit abrupt) and within 40 feet 3rd gear hit (very smoothly). I was datalogging with Scan 9495 and could see the Commanded Gear cell change as it should. All manual shifts worked correctly and smoothly. On the road she felt great with good solid power. For the first time the limo felt very light with all that new torque.

I did notice while I was datalogging I was still getting the Knock Sensor code 43, and was also getting Evap Canister code 26. But hey the car was actually moving down the road for the first time in 3 years!

When I got back to the garage I swapped out the old PCM of the new one, and uploaded the new bin file once again.

The 2nd test drive went well, for a bit. As I was coming back up a very long and steep hill the car began to lose power and snort a bit, shifting was very weird. Thankfully I was able to limp it back to the garage and after a few minutes I realized I must have been running out of gas. The Fuel Gauge is a bit off since we swapped gas tanks/ sending units. Luckily I had an extra 5 gallons sitting around, so I gassed it up and took it for another spin.

Performance was thankfully back to normal, but the only problem was I was still getting Knock Sensor code 43 and Evap Canister code 26.

I tested the pin for the knock sensor on the PCM connector, and found it had 5 volts. This is at least is better than the old PCM, but still have no idea why the code is being thrown given that I've tested all of the sensors and wires and they are "ok."

I think I figured out the Evap Canister code, but that may be a deeper issue which I'll post later.

In the meantime I thought you guys would enjoy some good news for once! She runs!

Sincerely, kur4o and lionelhutz, thank you for all the help. PM me the name/ location of your favorite local bar and you'll have a few rounds waiting for you on your next visit! Seriously.

Cory

Administrator
    LOL... So you're going to go out and party like a rock star??

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    LOL... So you're going to go out and party like a rock star??
    Haha, not quite yet. It's a pretty long punch list before we can celebrate, but looking forward to the day.

Fuel Injected!
    Wow, great we managed to help you out. I am really happy.
    You can check the knock sensor voltage at the pcm, using tunerpro and the attached adx file.
    Adx is based on the Eaglemark great EE adx, with some small modifications by me.