Thread: Stiney from Bucyrus Ohio

Carb and Points!

Stiney from Bucyrus Ohio

Hello GearHead-EFI!

Just found this site by chance and it looks great. Lots of good stuff to search through!

I have several projects, kinda work at them in a hodge-podge manner. The EFI stuff is still relatively new to me even though I have been building cars since the '80's.

Several years ago I bought a beater '89 Ford E-350 (first year for EFI, same system as the FOX mustangs) with 30ish error codes, and worked my way through them until I had it cured with no codes. The whole thing was to teach myself EFI 101, if you will. Then I promptly sold it.

Next I sunk my teeth into MegaSquirt II, building it from the kit offered by DIY-EFI. I took it to near-completion, it "ran" on the laptop dashboard with a StimJim we also assembled. Never put it on a vehicle yet however.

Most recently my boys (10 & 12) and I brought a '48 Willys CJ-2A Jeep home, along with a '94 Chevy 1500 4.3 auto truck. Of course the plan is to incorporate the 4.3 with the Willys. We have already gutted the truck and thinned down the in-cab part of the harness (will be using the COMPLETE truck harness, lights and all, as a donor for the Jeep). Removed the HVAC/stereo-speaker/PL PW/courtesy light stuff already.

So that is where we stand. A supposedly adult person and his two kids diving in way over their heads, again.

Welcome to GearHead-EFI! I performed a conversion on my M38A1 basically the same way. There are wiring diagrams for the EFI here: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-0D
    What transmission / transfer case do you plan to use? Advance Adapters and Novak make adapters to adapt the Chevrolet engines to the Jeep transmissions. The T90 will hold up ok behind the 4.3 but it cannot handle much abuse. I used a T18 from a J20 truck and changed the input shaft. The old jeeps have a very short wheelbase so there are limited options in what transmission / transfer case combo you can use.

Again,
    Welcome

Administrator
    That looks like it will be a nice swap. I helped a friend put a 4.3 / 700R4 into a Geo Tracker several years ago which was a very tight fit. I think that old Willys has a bit more length between the wheels.

Can't tell you much about OE Willys trans / transfer case combinations. In terms of matching trans strength to engine power, and for it's ability to bolt it the the Chevrolet engine, I'd consider using a T5 and matching transfer case from a later CJ. Folks around here seem to enjoy tossing the T5 for stronger transmissions.