Thread: GM SPS Bench Flashing

Fuel Injected!

GM SPS Bench Flashing

I am wondering if anyone has done any extensive bench flashing with the GM MDI/Tech 2 or other J2534 unit. I have heard that it doesnt become a problem until you start programming modules around 2012 and newer. After that supposedly the computers have to be in the vehicle. I was wondering if anyone could confirm this.

I am looking at getting setup with something to do factory flashing. If you guys have any recommendations, I am open to opinions, and suggestions.

Bench flashed up to 2015. Just have to be sure your comms termination is correct. Newer ECMs require 3-4 times the amperage to flash, be sure you have a converter that can handle it.

Fuel Injected!
    Are you using an mdi? What convertor are you using. I am just using a 1 amp wall adapter right now and have never had any trouble benchflashing using hp tuners up until about 2013 or so. Dont know if Ive done anything newer than that on a bench.

I found a high amp converter just laying around my junk pile. I dont remember what it was from.

Flashing we are using MDI, Cats, Efi, HP. Mostly using the MDI to burn a new clean GM tune then pull with other software and tune.

I have a Tech2 with an old tis cd along with a China dongle it works better than my mongoose and sps subscription. I'm using a radio shack 12v converter for like cb radios. I've had a couple not flash all the way with the mongoose cable sps ONLY on older LS1 style ecms.

Fuel Injected!
    What year does the tech2 have coverage up to? You still have to pay for a subscription with the tech2 dont you? I didnt think there was any way of working around that one.

Quote Originally Posted by MYLTWON View Post
    What year does the tech2 have coverage up to? You still have to pay for a subscription with the tech2 dont you? I didnt think there was any way of working around that one.
    2008 or 2009 I'll have too look no subscription for it just a blue dongle I got from obdtool. Com or something for $15

http://www.buyobdtool.com/wholesale/...car-model.html
    Last edited by roughneck427; 09-23-2015 at 08:03 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    I was going to try to get a hold of the TIS2000 software but I cant seem to find it. Even if I did im not sure if it would work with the mdi or if I would need to buy a tech2.

I posted the link of the one I bought and it works

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks for the link. I just ordered them. I am hoping to get an mdi and just use it as a programming interface for the tis2000 and then if all works out get a subscription to tis2web

Quote Originally Posted by MYLTWON View Post
    Thanks for the link. I just ordered them. I am hoping to get an mdi and just use it as a programming interface for the tis2000 and then if all works out get a subscription to tis2web
    Also im running it on my old tough book with windows XP. I have only a USB port and a serial port. With that I have only used the tech 2 with the dongle. I also have a mongoose cable but I never tested it with the older TIS cd stuff due to the USB port deal.

Fuel Injected!
    I was wondering if I might run into issues using a different j2534 unit other than the tech2 but I guess we will find out. Has anyone had experience with the knock off mdi units. I hate to cheap out but the price difference is almost making me want to roll the dice. I have also been looking into the a ez flasher and the cardaq unit. Any input on these units would be greatly appreciated.

Carb and Points!
    GM Tech2 well done GM TECH2 Scanner to Program ECU with SPS in TIS2000 http://blog.chinacardiags.com/how-to...ps-in-tis2000/

Carb and Points!
    I use a vxdiag to use SPS and a tech2 emulation. Flashed my 2002 no problem. I haven't used it on newer stuff though. It would have flashed my 96 too but i have killed that ecu so