Thread: HelloJust another gear head

HelloJust another gear head

Howdy.
    I'm an old guy that refused to give up on carbs until i owned a couple of SHO's Well I'm hooked Now and i think It's for the better.
    Here is a link To my build. FYI http://s577.photobucket.com/user/rei...%20truck/story
    it all started about 5 years ago maybe 6. my wife said that i could build a Custom car/truck to keep me from going insane, and I always wanted a panel truck . but funds were low and i had just bought another 1987 Suburban for parts and the body was pretty much rust free and my other truck a 1977 GMC C-15( a rust bucket) its now a Panel truck lots of fun. see the link
    Well to make a long story short. I ended up recently with a engine 350thrown crank and a th400 tranz. the person I received it from. Had me convert his 89 one ton to a cab engine he had had our local high school working on. I was asked to finish the Job and he being one of our Marshals I did it for him he does a lot for our community so why not. He just furnished parts.

I had already striped a 91 caprice of its system for my Panel truck. but My 1980 one ton manual trans 4x4 dually, has been giving me fits( fuel delivery junk carb) of recently and in the process of the conversion I ended up taking my left tank out for his truck. and ended up with two EFI tanks RT and left. since this will need to be reliable while I strip my panel truck back down to finish some frame and body work. (the panel ended up being my daily driver) why not Start my knowledge up grade with it. Right now it has a 70 k miles crate engine in it so it should be a good platform to start with.

I have laid out the Wiring and am now looking for support I have every thing i think From the 89 one ton, I did not get the harness from the ecm to the adl? but I was able to retrieve the one from the 87 suburban body and I'm pretty sure that it's going to work. I have been referencing the diagram links at this site and only have a couple of questions I will post later. along with a engine test stand I built just for this. I'm debating weather or not to leave the truck a Manual or convert it back to a automatic since I have a good th400 now. ( the out put shaft on the trans is worn along with the input for the transfer case and my back is going bad) decisions decisions.(the Gentleman I bought the 80 Chevy one ton from converted it to manual for his business needs)

Regardless I'm hoping. to count on you folks for help.
    This form looks great so far.
    I also have other Customers/ Friends/ Family, who have shown interest in Me doing this for them.
    Looking forward to working with you all. and If I can help you I would be honored to do so.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by reinovator; 09-17-2015 at 10:53 PM.

Usually the two biggest challenges with an EFI conversion is:
    1. Fuel Delivery System
    2. Wiring Harness

I'm glad to see you using the EFI fuel tanks! I like the in tank fuel pumps, quieter and usually longer service life than a frame mounted EFI fuel pump.

For wiring, I recommend solder splicing wires and using adhesive lined shrink tubing to cover the soldered wires. Using butt splice connectors on an EFI harness is not a good plan. Stay focused on "one wire at a time" when working with an EFI harness, and many headaches can be avoided.

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post

Usually the two biggest challenges with an EFI conversion is:

1. Fuel Delivery System
    2. Wiring Harness

I'm glad to see you using the EFI fuel tanks! I like the in tank fuel pumps, quieter and usually longer service life than a frame mounted EFI fuel pump.

For wiring, I recommend solder splicing wires and using adhesive lined shrink tubing to cover the soldered wires. Using butt splice connectors on an EFI harness is not a good plan. Stay focused on "one wire at a time" when working with an EFI harness, and many headaches can be avoided.

dave w
    Thank you I will keep this in mind.