Thread: hello

Carb and Points!

hello

Greetings from southeastern NC. I am new to the forum and I currently am interested in improving the efficiency of my vehicles. I have a 1993 caprice 9c1, 2003 Monte Carlo SS, 2002 Tahoe, 2002 F150, 1994 Olds ninety eight and a 1995 ninet eight supercharged. I purchased the caprice to fix up but am not interested n big wheels and tires except for maybe up to size 18-20. I joined so I can get info from like minded people that are care enthusiasts like me. The SS is my sons car and He wants it improved a little. I look forward to leading from all of you and hope that in time I will be able to contribute.

The first cars I want to tackle are the caprice and the Monte.

The 93 Caprice is OBD 1, which should be supported by TunerPro RT. Is the Caprice computer part # 16136965?

The 03 Monte is OBD 2, which should be supported by EFI Live and / or HP Tuners.

OBD 1 software / hardware is considerably lower in cost than the software / hardware available for OBD 2.

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Where would I find the computer? I am semi fluent in auto mechanics ;-) I do have a tech degree and can understand pretty good. I do know that my car has a 5.7 tbi. it has 3.42 rear end w/limited slip. The engine was rebuilt before it was parked two years ago. The trans is a 700r4 that was rebuilt before I bought it with a warranty. I changed the gear oil with royal purple. Done a tune up with 8mm wires, accel supercoil, dist cap and rotor. The car has an L98 cam with the following specs: 202/207 @ .050 .413/.428 114.5 LSA. It has a 2.5 in Y adapter to single 3 in exhaust. Would it help to go to a 3.5 inch exhaust? I plan to finish work on my intake and for my exhaust replace cat with free flow plus flowmaster 44? and resonator delete. I am open to the idea of 1.6 or 1.65 RR and/or vortec heads. Thx.