Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rdr bluetooth module with 87 Fiero 2.5

Carb and Points!

rdr bluetooth module with 87 Fiero 2.5

I have a Red Devil ALDL bluetooth module that I am wanting to monitor my Fieros with using TunerPro RT and ALDLdroid. I have managed to get it to function on my 86 with a 2.8V6. I have had no success on my 1987 Fiero with a 2.5 L4 using either TunerPro RT or ALDLdroid. The bluetooth module appears to connect with a blue/magenta flashing led. ALDLdroid will just show "dancing numbers" for every parameter. TunerPro RT just keeps trying to connect. I am using the adx file from the RDR website for this application. Anyone else tried to use this bluetooth module on an 87 Fiero Iron Duke? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.

Coco

Fuel Injected!
    I have one that works well on '7747 ECMs, but won't connect with anything that has a faster baud rate. I don't know if that would be your issue, but I was somewhat disappointed with the RDR unit and lack of response to any questions I had (they never responded to any questions I submitted on their site). I switched over to the 1320 electronics bluetooth adapter and am very happy with it. It's more configurable and support is great (he even helped me figure out my problems with the RDR unit).
    1973 K-5 Blazer, TBI 350, TH400, 1 ton axles & 38" SSRs'
    1975 280Z, TBI 350, 700R4
    1953 M-38A1, TBI Buick 231
    1951 Ford Panel, 5.3 with 4L80E

Fuel Injected!
    Are you using Tunerpro rt on an Android tablet?? I have a 85 Fiero with 1990 Quad-4. I would like to use my tablet with it like I use Torque and 327Elm on other things
    Last edited by BigBanks78; 09-13-2015 at 10:11 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    There's a great app called ALDLdroid that you can use for datalogging and gauges with an android device. There's a thread about it on this forum with a bunch of info. I'm using an old phone along with the 1320 bluetooth adapter for my speedo, coolant, voltage and others along with datalogging in one of my vehicles. It was the quick and easy way to replace the factory gauges and dump the laptop for logging.
    1973 K-5 Blazer, TBI 350, TH400, 1 ton axles & 38" SSRs'
    1975 280Z, TBI 350, 700R4
    1953 M-38A1, TBI Buick 231
    1951 Ford Panel, 5.3 with 4L80E

Carb and Points!
    I am using TunerPro RT on an HP laptop running Windows 8. I am also using ALDLdroid on an LG 3 Android phone.

Fuel Injected!
    That's great to hear!!!! I been using a Otc monitor 4000 for data stream and old phone gps for speedo because couldn't figure out ads file loading but Brian straightened me out on that, with laptop in this little bitty car. Great news :-)!!!!!! Love this forum!!!

Administrator
    I been using a Otc monitor 4000 for data stream
    The Slow-TC 4000! Twice as fast as the 2000, which meant you got the morning's data at noon instead of sunset. Gawd-bless ya, sir.

Fuel Injected!
    Lol yea that things been around a while!!!!!! It's not to bad for a back up though :-)

Fuel Injected!
    @cocofiero: The adx file may have the wrong message length if the data is dancing around. It may be getting 25 bytes, but set to 20 bytes, or something similar. Go into ALDLDroid's settings and turn on debugging. Run it again. There will be a folder named /ALDLDroid/debug. Post the debuglog.txt file here and we can try help you.

Carb and Points!
    Hi John, you may be on to something. There's a lot of "Data is at offset 3 and 63 bytes long" repeating in the file. I'm a total newbie, I don't have any idea what that means.

I've attached the debugging file. Thanks for your help.

Pat
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fuel Injected!
    @CocoFiero: Could you post your adx file also? I can't find an adx file for the 87 LR8 motor. Are you using the 86 adx file?

The GM protocol spec for that ECM says it is an 8192 baud unit with data streaming on pins L and M. It states that without the 10K resistor, you should only receive 22 bytes. With a 10K resistor across terminals A&B, you should receive 63 bytes.

Let's see if you have a good adx file for us to start with. If not, we will have to create one. We need to figure out the 10K resistor too. I know the RDR BT has a 10K resistor inside it, but I think it only pulls it in if it sees 160 baud data on pin E. If so, we will first look at the 22 byte message without the 10K resistor and get that working. Then maybe manually insert a 10K resistor and work on the 63 byte message.

Carb and Points!
    @1320_John. Here's the adx file I have been using. I think this one came from TunerPro website. I also tried one from the RDR website with the same results.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fuel Injected!
    Looking at the debug file, it is almost working. The header byte string keeps showing up (look for F0 95 01 in the debug log). The header byte string should be the first 3 bytes of the response, but it appears randomly in the response. In the adx file, the body size is showing up as 66. This isn't accounting for the checksum byte. I would suggest changing the body size to 67, then try the adx again. What might be happening is that the checksum byte is coming in the next message and messing ALDLDroid up.

Give it a shot and let us know what happens!

Carb and Points!
    I'm sorry it took me this long to reply, I was away from home for a while. I changed the body size to 67 in the adx file and tried again, but still got the "dancing numbers" on ALDLdroid. I attached the log file below. RDR says on his website that the adx file will work with the 1987 2.5 Fiero. Is it possible that it only works with his USB module, and not the Bluetooth? I'm afraid I have a lot of learning to do. Thanks for your help!

Carb and Points!
    Bump. Can anyone suggest where I might begin to learn the basics so I can understand what the debug log is saying? Is there a sticky thread or someplace I could start?

Thanks!