Thread: 7747: DFCO without a VSS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

7747: DFCO without a VSS

Hi guys,
    I am running a 7747-based TBI conversion on my Ford 400. After wondering why DFCO does not work, I saw that it's only activated above 15mph. Problem is: I don't have a VSS.

Can I simply set the DFCO minimum speed to 0mph or will this mess with idle or something else?

Any help, as always, is appreciated.

This is one of the important reasons to have a VSS. ;)

While I haven't tried to use DFCO on a Delco system without VSS, I have noticed that when playing with it (DFCO) that if the MPH thresholds were set too low it was easy for the engine to stall when coming to a stop. Increasing the RPM thresholds helped correct this, but then the DFCO is active for less time than it would normally be...

So my recomendation is add a VSS, and enjoy the benefits of having a VSS input for DFCO, and other speed based improvements, such as a more stable idle and return to idle.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    This is one of the important reasons to have a VSS. ;)

While I haven't tried to use DFCO on a Delco system without VSS, I have noticed that when playing with it (DFCO) that if the MPH thresholds were set too low it was easy for the engine to stall when coming to a stop. Increasing the RPM thresholds helped correct this, but then the DFCO is active for less time than it would normally be...

So my recomendation is add a VSS, and enjoy the benefits of having a VSS input for DFCO, and other speed based improvements, such as a more stable idle and return to idle.
    Thank you for your help! Will do!

Do you have a part-# for a matching VSS (Ford plug-in mount)? Ideally, I'd order all parts needed from RockAuto or Summit Racing, not both, cause shipping to Germany is easily $30 and more...

As Six said, VSS definitely needed for proper operation. Many idle/not idle decisions that affect performance are made in the code based on VSS data. Sorry, don't have part #.

Quote Originally Posted by 84Elky View Post
    As Six said, VSS definitely needed for proper operation. Many idle/not idle decisions that affect performance are made in the code based on VSS data. Sorry, don't have part #.
    I think I'll need this adaptor: http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...0006/overview/
    And this VSS: http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...0115/overview/
    Sadly, I haven't found a matching speedo cable at Summit. The only thing that looks the part is #6800 from these guys: http://www.partshp.com/speedometer_gears.htm

Which means double shipping costs, aka sucks.