Thread: 46mm TBI Std Performer Intake or EPS Manifold

46mm TBI Std Performer Intake or EPS Manifold

This is for a 350 TBI Jeep trail rig that will be running a Summit K1102 204/214 RV cam in a 1970's block and heads. Would a 46m TBI work better with a standard spread bore Edelbrok Performer intake or the 2701 EPS manifold. I don't have the intakes here to measure, but I believe the throttle body throats on the TBI are pretty wide. I read that the spread bore Q-jet mount on the standard Edelbrock performer accepts the width just fine as the width of the intake opening is slightly wider than the TBI throats, BUT the square bore on the EPS is narrower than the throttle bodies and the adapter plate has to be abruptly narrowed to make the transition from TBI unit to square bore intake.

This is an idle to 4500 rpm trail rig. I like the more modern technology of the EPS manifold and the increased torque numbers it provides down low, but I don't know if the loss due to the abrupt change in the adapter would put me in a position where I would be worse off than if I just installed the standard Performer intake.

Maybe this isn't an issue, but I read in several places not to install 46mm TBI's on square bore intake manifolds. Some people have recommended the Performer RMP manifold but I don't think that matches my setup and intended use.

Anybody running a TBI on the EPS manifold?

Thank for the help.

Tim
    Last edited by tplasek; 09-06-2015 at 07:42 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by tplasek View Post
    This is for a 350 TBI Jeep trail rig that will be running a Summit K1102 204/214 RV cam in a 1970's block and heads. Would a 46m TBI work better with a standard spread bore Edelbrok Performer intake or the 2701 EPS manifold. I don't have the intakes here to measure, but I believe the throttle body throats on the TBI are pretty wide. I read that the spread bore Q-jet mount on the standard Edelbrock performer accepts the width just fine as the width of the intake opening is slightly wider than the TBI throats, BUT the square bore on the EPS is narrower than the throttle bodies and the adapter plate has to be abruptly narrowed to make the transition from TBI unit to square bore intake.

This is an idle to 4500 rpm trail rig. I like the more modern technology of the EPS manifold and the increased torque numbers it provides down low, but I don't know if the loss due to the abrupt change in the adapter would put me in a position where I would be worse off than if I just installed the standard Performer intake.

Maybe this isn't an issue, but I read in several places not to install 46mm TBI's on square bore intake manifolds. Some people have recommended the Performer RMP manifold but I don't think that matches my setup and intended use.

Anybody running a TBI on the EPS manifold?

Thank for the help.

Tim
    I had a performer rpm on a stock TBI 350 and direct comparison with the 3704 I also had on the same setup it blew the TBI manifold out of the water everywhere. The throttle response was snappier and it made more TQ and HP across a wide rpm range. I used a Mercruiser 2" bore TBI on a Mercruiser 2" TBI to square bore intake adapter.

I also ran the same adapter on a ~400 hp LT4 Hotcammed L31 Vortec on top of a Super Victor intake. Nice torque curve from off-idle and beyond. The Marine TBI adapter is divided all the way to the gasket surfaces and tapers from the TB inlet to a large oval to match the square bore intake. Weiamd also had a very nice single plane with EGR provisions that works very well with TBI. IIRC it was a 7525 part number.

Last edited by Fast355; 09-06-2015 at 08:22 AM.

This is great firsthand information. I'll will search for that same adapter or another adapter that is divided all the way to the gaskets in the manner you described. I was overthinking this, but it is nice to get confirmation to ensure I buy the right components the first time.

I looks like next week will be an early Christmas for me.

Tim P