Thread: Ve tables are ok, WOT instie and tuning. Definite newbe

Ve tables are ok, WOT instie and tuning. Definite newbe

Ok in a newbe by far at this stuff. I think i got the hang of the part throttle stuff and my VE tables are set up well as well as SA tables for part throttle and idle.
    Next i need to learn how to tune this car at WOT, since i race the thing more then i drive it arround.

I know i need a WB o2 sensor for real tuning and i will have one within a month or two, but for now i need to learn how to use the $88 mask. There is little info i can find on this mask. Its on a 3.1L camaro speed density system.

I can say this for sure. That the NB 02 sensor readings are horrible when part throttle but when at WOT it is withing 840-949 mv in a 1/4 mile worth of road every trip. I know that probly is inaccurate as can be but this car had a mild cam and ported heads and intake put on it recently. I just wana see if i can adjust it a little to make sure its not too lean when i get on it, untill i get the WB o2 sensor. I dont even know where to add fuel in PE mode, all i see is spark values that i can change. Do i just use the VE adder for the rpms over 4000, which is where my Main VE table ends.

Really the main point of this thread is to help me understand the mask and how to even change things when i do have the WB o2 sensor.
    Thanks for tips and advice, or links.
    Turbo 3.1/3100 V6 Thirdgen Camaro
    Best 1/4 mile 11.59@119Mph 15psi

Also ive read a little info and @ 750 degrees o2 sensor temp, which mine was at, a full 1000mv would be 13.6 AFR if it was somewhat close. Mine was never higher then 949mv. Really it was steady in the upper 800's most of the acceleration. I really need to get a WB o2 sensor!!

Your going to be teaching us pretty soon if you keep up this pace!

Sure your getting sleep? Taking care of yourself, family, not missing work or school? Should we call in somone for an intervention?

Well you've already found your narrow band readings on the high side at WOT! That is good, it's not as accurate as wideband but is good! When you go WOT you usually go open loop in most masks I have worked with and the ECM adds fuel to VE table. Getting the main VE table right is so important because everything else is an adjust ment off it. Just like WOT. Look in your XDF under "Power Enrich Mode AFR Vs. RPM" and you will see why your O2 sensor reading went rich!

First thing to do when starting to work WOT or your spark tables is make sure your Knock Sensor is working!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Your going to be teaching us pretty soon if you keep up this pace!

Sure your getting sleep? Taking care of yourself, family, not missing work or school? Should we call in somone for an intervention?

Well you've already found your narrow band readings on the high side at WOT! That is good, it's not as accurate as wideband but is good! When you go WOT you usually go open loop in most masks I have worked with and the ECM adds fuel to VE table. Getting the main VE table right is so important because everything else is an adjust ment off it. Just like WOT. Look in your XDF under "Power Enrich Mode AFR Vs. RPM" and you will see why your O2 sensor reading went rich!

First thing to do when starting to work WOT or your spark tables is make sure your Knock Sensor is working!
    Yea i think ill be ok for now but in a few months i might be going nuts chasing this tuning stuff Ive actually been on college break so a little too much free time!! I go back to 40+ hrs a week of school/work starting monday and between that, the wife and daughter i wont have much time for this stuff..... i love this hobby it never gets boring! So i gotta get as much done as i can for now....

I see the AFR Vs. RPM table. Its 12.00 and then 12.5 at higher Rpms. Dont i want the AFR to be about 12.5 or so at WOT? Im thinking its closer to 13.5 and I would liek it lower. I did watch the log over again and it never said it was in open loop at WOT?? Isnt it suppose to be in open loop? The INT and BLM were locked at 128 though.

Remember i checked out the knock sensor the other day? It works great! Remember i actually had to have the car running for tuner pro to read the data from the ecu.
    Last edited by fasteddi; 01-07-2012 at 05:49 AM.

Yup I remember you doing knock now, I loose track with who's where and done what sometimes.

It may not say Open Loop. My LT1 does not but it does change BLM enable to off at WOT. Since yours locks at 128 that is good! This also falls back on main VE table being correct! You could disable Power enrichment " Power Enrich Enable MAP Threshold" by maxing it and try to get more VE tables at 70 to 100 MAP higher RPM and work them. When you get them right go back and reset it.

12.5 to 1 AFR is a good setting but only true way to know exactly is a wideband and track times!

I don't want you to end up like me... "Addicted and Obsessed with Fuel injection" used to be in my signature. I had to go through the 12 step program for my addiction... maybe we should cut you off for a couple days and make sure there are no with drawl symptoms?

Or like Dave was saying just smooth your timing table, leave idle cells alone and add 3 degrees, then go drive and look for knock or retard depending on your adx. I do mine with cheap 87 octane and try to bump knock or timing retard across the board, then take out 2 across the board to be safe for all weather conditions. Come track day have another tune with three degrees added for WOT cells and can run a tank of 93 octane.

Once you go through your timing table then go back and look for VE adjustments needed again... rinse and repeat...

Probably need better weather closer to track time to play with launch mode?

Do you like the way your TCC locks up at speeds?

Do you go on highway trips? Is your highway lean cruise enabled?

Any dead spots in throttle that need more AE?

Your car can only go 115 MPH now before Fuel cut off!!! How rude!!! How dare they limit you to 115 MPH?

I better stop...

-= =-

Ok I have changed the 115 limit.. how dare they, thats right!

I think my TCC locks to fast. Id like to change it to a little higher MPH, but there are alot of values there, which im not totaly sure what i need to chance else then MPH.

Id like to play with the launch mode for the track, adding a little timing and and a little longer durration. The track times and knock count is gonna be nice in the spring durring test and tune friday nights!!!

My highway mode isnt enabled. Id like to do that also!

I think i am going to have to wait till better weather also for more tuning, winters about to bite us up here in ohio.

I got 3 chips and would love to end up getting 2 good chips, one for driving arround and such, then a dedicatied one for the track, if i can get a good tune before i do more mods to the motor.....Love it that my ECU is on the floor with a cover over it!

You got me thinking now....i might need that 12 steps program stuff in a few weeks when i cant go tune anymore, and all i can do is read about it and hear about people in warm places tuning there cars....
    I gotta make sure i dont forget what you said about the disabling the PE mode for modding the VE tables, and the Spark Adv. info. I need to just copy alot of info off the net just for a $88 mask V6 car for ppl to see because there isnt a lot of info about those specific cars. Not many people tune V6 thirdgen camaros unless there turboed, which i wana do some day soon!
    Last edited by fasteddi; 01-07-2012 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fasteddi View Post
    Id like to play with the launch mode for the track, adding a little timing and and a little longer durration.
    Not sure but I think the idea of launch mode is to retard timing during launch to reduce tire spin, it has a timer and tables to do that, but I haven't had anything to launch and play with it?

Quote Originally Posted by fasteddi View Post
    You got me thinking now....i might need that 12 steps program stuff in a few weeks when i cant go tune anymore, and all i can do is read about it and hear about people in warm places tuning there cars....
    Nah! You'll be OK, it works as a fix...

-= =-

Yea im seeing a launch mode timing bias. So that would subtract the timing from just the amount of time/speed. that you set it at right?? That would definitly help get outta the hole at the track and launch better. But there is also a table on launch mode spark advance Vs. Map Vs. Rpm. What exactly is that for?

Well I added 2# to the main SA table, and smoothed. So when i go for a drive well see if we get any spark knock, if so then ill take some spark out, if not then ill look at the VE's once again. Then eaglemarks famous words(rince and repeat)

I stole that from a shampoo bottle...

If I remember right your adx has knock and retard? On my LT1 I built a knock history table and instead of knock counts used retard... in the end when using history std deiation it gives amount to take out of each cell! Way better than guessing how much just because a cell had counts...

-= =-

Ahh that sounds better to me, using those tables like that, I did notice spark knock only at engine shut off. Thats with 4 # added and smoothed at .55 on the smooth feature. Im going to go back in the bin and take out some timing in the low rpms and then see if i can get that knock to go away when i shut the engine off. Tuner pro v5 is a sweet program thats for sure. Makes it somewhat easy to tune, even for a newbe like me.