Thread: Megaswitch v.megasquirttesting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Megaswitch v.megasquirttesting

I'm starting a thread about Megasquirt since I now have a couple of them.

A number of months ago I acquired an MS1 v3.0, and have been trying to get my hands on an MS2 daughter card. I do have a contact in the US that has one, but with the way exchange is right now, it's just more than I want to spend on it. Once the dollar gets closer to par, then I'll buy it, if he still has it.

Anyway, I've noticed an MS2 on kijiji semi-local for a while now. I finally sent him an e-mail and we made a deal. I picked it up last night. It's an MS2 v3.0, that is set up for a Miata and has a custom Miata adapter plug 'n' play box, which I don't plan to use, but is rather interesting in itself.

Now my plan is to use this in my 1973 Datsun 240Z that has a turbo LX9 swap (3.5L from a 2006 Pontiac G6), and is currently running off a Delco 1227749 using $59 (code59.org). It runs quite well with the current set-up, I've just wanted to play with a Megasquirt for a long time. There were just some features it lacks that kept me from getting one, at least at new full price. I got a couple pretty decent deals between the 2 that I have now.

Anyway I plan to document the switch over and what challenges come up along with solutions. I also plan to make comparisons between the MS2 and the '7749 with $59, I may even compare it to another ECU I have access to, if I find time (Haltec Platinum 1000).

I'm going to start with pictures.

Both units, along with the Miata adapter, which I may show off in a separate post, if there's interest.

Both units with the covers pulled off. The extra circuit on the left MS (MS2) is for some Miata specific need, that actually increases the frequency of the PWM signal.
    MS2 on the left and MS1 on the right.

Close up of the Miata prepped unit. (There's more jumpers on the bottom)

Close up of MS1 unit

Backside of the MS1 board

Comparison of MS2 daughter card (left) and MS1 CPU (right)

Underside of the CPUs
    Last edited by Six_Shooter; 08-20-2016 at 11:25 AM.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

I've been interested in MS for a while too. Look forward to this thread.
    1995 K1500, Stock LO5, 4L60e, 3.73 gears, 265/75-16 tires, L&L Products Ultra-flow headers into 2-1/2" Y-pipe and 3" single exhaust

Initial notes and plans:

After doing some initial research, I'm going to use the MS1 unit, with the MS2 daughter card installed, effectively converting it to an MS2 v3.0 unit. I have a few reasons for this:
    -This particular unit has the hall effect and VR circuitry already installed, which is needed for the ignition set-up on my car
    -I want to look closer at the Miata prepped unit and research it without disturbing it right now, because I like to know stuff.
    -If someone comes along that needs the Miata prepped stuff and adapter then it will already be good for them and no need to add it all back in.
    -Using the basic unit is closer to how most people would receive an MS, or if they had an MS1 and want to upgrade this information could prove to be helpful.

One big thing that is of note is that the MS2 is capable of running a stepper motor IAC, which most GM systems use. This requires a 12V feed to the MS daughter card, for the stepper motor driver. (Labeled UDN2916 in the below diagram).

The MS1 does not require a 12V feed and if the MS2 12V feed modification is made then an MS1 CPU installed it will damage the MS1 CPU. the modification is running a jumper lead to pin 16 of the 40 pin main CPU socket. Luckily on the v3.0 board this has been thought of an the jumper that is needed is very short between a hole labeled JS9 and another hole nearby labeled S12C.

Here are the two points that need to be connected (Underside of the board):

And relative to the rest of the board:
    Last edited by Six_Shooter; 08-20-2016 at 11:29 AM.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    I've had an MS2 sitting in my shop for a few years now. Someday I need to find a good project for it. Keep us updated on your progress!
    1973 K-5 Blazer, TBI 350, TH400, 1 ton axles & 38" SSRs'
    1975 280Z, TBI 350, 700R4
    1953 M-38A1, TBI Buick 231
    1951 Ford Panel, 5.3 with 4L80E

Coool, I have a customer with a Ford 460 that is getting swapped to MicroSquirt this winter. It should be fun, no stepper control needed and its already batch fire.

Thanks for posting this up.

I've been doing a lot of reading about options and such for the MS over the last couple of days, and it seems prudent to simply get the MS connected to and running the engine in a very basic set-up, with no options other than efan, since I have no other easy way to control it. Then after I have proofed out the trigger in, then move on to adding options, such as boost control, shift light, etc.

I do have both a stimulator and a JimStim (I've been using the JimStim for years with Delco ECMs), so I can do bench testing, but in car testing could come up with different results.

The really confusing part at this point is what code version to use, B&G code or MSExtra. I'm leaning towards the Extra code because it seems quite popular and well supported.

There seems to be some ignition settings that change or get inverted between the B&G code and MSExtra, that causes people to have issues, if they switch between them.

I was thinking about installing a jumper for the 12V feed to the MS2 daughter card, in case I wanted re-install the MS1 CPU, but the more I read about the limitations of MS1, I don't think I will be, at least not in an in car situation, where I wouldn't be able to easily use a soldering iron to remove the jumper.

I am considering using the MS1 on another project that either doesn't require an IAC or I could adapt a PWM type easily. I was originally considering using a '7730 for that project and still am, but the Alpha-N capabilities of the MS might make it easier to run.

I'm hoping to get to the necessary board mods tonight or early this week, to test in car, but will need to build an adapter harness as well, since I want to be able to easily swap between the '7749/$59 and the MS2.

I am intrigued by mention of 6 cyl sequential COP, using MS2.... I can see very quickly needing to upgrade to MS3, just to get more inputs and outputs to use some of the additional features. lol

Fuel Injected!
    To be honest, there's nothing going on in your setup that MS1 can't handle except the stepper idle control. That said, MS2Extra is the best supported system and can do everything MS3 can do with added on hardware, but it gets messy fast. If you are wanting to go full sequential don't even mess with an MS2, just make the jump now. Nothing interchanges between them as far as wiring or coding.

There are a LOT of errors in the documentation you find online-use only the official MSExtra documentation. Some of the old wiring diagrams and methods result in unusable noise problems-and MS2 is MUCH more sensitive to noise than MS1 was. Good grounding practices are not enough in every case, the biggest noise problems are from using low-z injectors and the way the traces are routed on the PCB. Hopefully you won't have issues with yours.

The standard MS2 code does not support every type of trigger wheel, nor does it have a really good handle on warmup control-MS2Extra does it much better.