Thread: Megaswitch v.megasquirttesting

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Megaswitch v.megasquirttesting

I'm starting a thread about Megasquirt since I now have a couple of them.

A number of months ago I acquired an MS1 v3.0, and have been trying to get my hands on an MS2 daughter card. I do have a contact in the US that has one, but with the way exchange is right now, it's just more than I want to spend on it. Once the dollar gets closer to par, then I'll buy it, if he still has it.

Anyway, I've noticed an MS2 on kijiji semi-local for a while now. I finally sent him an e-mail and we made a deal. I picked it up last night. It's an MS2 v3.0, that is set up for a Miata and has a custom Miata adapter plug 'n' play box, which I don't plan to use, but is rather interesting in itself.

Now my plan is to use this in my 1973 Datsun 240Z that has a turbo LX9 swap (3.5L from a 2006 Pontiac G6), and is currently running off a Delco 1227749 using $59 (code59.org). It runs quite well with the current set-up, I've just wanted to play with a Megasquirt for a long time. There were just some features it lacks that kept me from getting one, at least at new full price. I got a couple pretty decent deals between the 2 that I have now.

Anyway I plan to document the switch over and what challenges come up along with solutions. I also plan to make comparisons between the MS2 and the '7749 with $59, I may even compare it to another ECU I have access to, if I find time (Haltec Platinum 1000).

I'm going to start with pictures.

Both units, along with the Miata adapter, which I may show off in a separate post, if there's interest.

Both units with the covers pulled off. The extra circuit on the left MS (MS2) is for some Miata specific need, that actually increases the frequency of the PWM signal.
    MS2 on the left and MS1 on the right.

Close up of the Miata prepped unit. (There's more jumpers on the bottom)

Close up of MS1 unit

Backside of the MS1 board

Comparison of MS2 daughter card (left) and MS1 CPU (right)

Underside of the CPUs
    Last edited by Six_Shooter; 08-20-2016 at 11:25 AM.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.