Thread: ECM/ECU editing software

Carb and Points!

ECM/ECU editing software

Hi All,
    I currently build and restore classic cars. Most if not all of my customers want to run a late model engine/trans package, fuel injection, etc... I want to use the existing ECU/ECM and harness that came with the donor vehicle as to save time and money. I can tune, program, develop, etc... as my first job was as a Software Developer.

My question is I have been over to Moates checking product out... what I would like is software I can download on my laptop that I can access any ECU/ECM I want to edit, disable/enable features, and or pretty much change anything I want In the ECM/ECU. Having to deal with steering columns, code keys, etc... is a pain as I don't use those stock steering columns, keys, and the like.

Is there software like TunerCat that I can use to access the ECU/ECM's? so I can disable transmissions, make my own tunes, and have control over the system instead of having to buy separate components and cables for earlier fuel injection systems? It would be easier for me to find and purchase the software, then purchase USB cables for the various ECM versions makes and models?

I hope this makes sense?

Thanks
    J

Administrator
    Hello, and welcome to gearhead-efi.

What you're describing is wrench that fits everything. But it just doesn't exist. Just like building cars, there is no single way to build an engine or vehicle management system. And when you consider that people can choose computers from anything from the '80s up to today, and that they can choose from vehicle manufacturer controllers, aftermarket controllers, or even hobbyist built controllers, it gets even worse. And then there are the supplemental controllers such as ABS and body control modules that get added to systems as the vehicles get more complicated. The complexity of the programs in the controllers increases with each new version so the number of items to change in a 2013 computer is hundreds if not thousands of times larger than the number of variables available in a 1983 controller. No, I don't think the tuning software equivalent of the universal adapter will ever exist.

What you could do is pick one or two popular engine swaps, say an LS family engine, and determine which computer number and system configuration works with that engine. You can get software for that system and explain to customers that's the way it has to be. This is how it already is, actually. For folks that choose to step outside that world where profit can be made, reliability can be promised, and hair can remain on your head there are plenty of forums, web pages, and tools around to guide them as they pioneer a new mousetrap.

FWIW the Moates Tunercat package is one of the best values for GM software thanks to their licensing. TC is responsive to questions and they've always seemed reasonable and down to earth. EFILive has huge support on their forums and it looks like they're working for the pro tuner market more than the DIY guy. I have little experience working with non-GM vehicles so if you're into Ford, Dodge, or others you might end up with different or multiple software packages to get the job done.

Carb and Points!
    Yep, thought so,
    Can TUnerPro handle Dodge and Ford ECM's? Diesel, Gas, last five, ten years?
    I really like TunerPro, Been using it for a long time as I have been converting Flathead V8's over to GM throttle body from GM trucks with 305/350's
    I should probably cruise around and see what I can find? If someone might point me in the right direction?
    Thanks

Administrator
    Tunerpro is one of the most flexible tools I've seen but someone has to do the work to adapt it. If there's no definition files for a particular ecm then it won't do much good to load the file to make changes unless you just want to use the hex editor. GM and likely others are moving to using multiple checksums within a program and I am not aware of a way to use TP to calculate those unless you break the file into multiple short segments. Then there's the problem of getting the programs into and out of the computers. New stuff is all flash over the OBDII port unless you want to crack computers open and remove the chips manually. TP doesn't do that.

Do you have sense of what you need changed most often? I know LS engine swaps from GM vehicles are popular and Cummins retrofits into older trucks is big in truck country.

Fuel Injected!
    Personally, I use TunerPro for the older stuff and HPTuners for the newer stuff. The older OBD1 stuff can normally be tuned without putting out a lot of money, but the OBD2 stuff typically requires some type of licensing whether you use HPTuners, EFI Live or other systems. I believe TunerCats is pretty popular here, but I don't have experience with that one. I've also found that it's better to get really smart on a limited number of systems rather than try to learn a little of everything. I turn away business that's too far outside my lane and don't feel bad about doing so.
    1973 K-5 Blazer, TBI 350, TH400, 1 ton axles & 38" SSRs'
    1975 280Z, TBI 350, 700R4
    1953 M-38A1, TBI Buick 231
    1951 Ford Panel, 5.3 with 4L80E