Thread: Somebody...just shoot me.

Electronic Ignition!

Somebody...just shoot me.

What I believed to be a bad ECM, (in fact the computer said it was) doesn't seem to be it. I have no spark to the secondary ignition (coil) and I have replaced the ignition control module with a "reman" from Cardone. The original prom chip was used as directed. Can one of those go bad?
    I will entertain ideas from anyone, but I have to ask; Will a more expensive (read: better) diagnostic computer be able to pick this out?

My first step would be to make sure I have power to the coil. If the icm is good and you have power to the coil, you should have spark. Check wires from the coil to distributor. Use an ohmmeter and measure the resistance of the pickup coil in the distributor. The ignition system should make spark even without pcm control.

Quote Originally Posted by sturgillbd View Post
    My first step would be to make sure I have power to the coil. If the icm is good and you have power to the coil, you should have spark. Check wires from the coil to distributor. Use an ohmmeter and measure the resistance of the pickup coil in the distributor. The ignition system should make spark even without pcm control.
    I second this. No spark is not a problem with the ECM, except for the remote possibility that the EST line has been pulled low, but I think even then it wouldn't cause a no spark. Easiest thing to do here is disconnect the 4 pin plug from the ICM and crank the engine over. If the ICM is good, and the wiring is also good, you will have spark.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.