Thread: PE Spark Advance $OD w/16196395 using DIS

PE Spark Advance $OD w/16196395 using DIS

OK.... I have tried every adjustment that I can find and I still cant get any PE spark advance when in PE mode. I have it on my dash and have verified with the logs that when it enters PE mode, the timing is steady and no advance is added from PE.

Remember, this is the bin that I have added 50 degrees of initial timing to make the offset work and run DIS and I feel sure that is the problem, but everything else makes sense except this one item. No matter how many degrees (even - degrees), no change to the timing when in PE mode. I do remember having to set the PE down when running a distributor, but I dont see myself going back that way.

My bin file is attached for review.
    Ted Brown
    Anderson, SC
    68 Corvair EFI
    61 Corvair Loadside Pickup (Future EFI)

the values in your "TPS for PE vs RPM" table are greater than those in your "TPS for fast PE vs RPM" table. The values in the "fast" table must be greater for PE to be enabled.
    1995 K1500, Stock LO5, 4L60e, 3.73 gears, 265/75-16 tires, L&L Products Ultra-flow headers into 2-1/2" Y-pipe and 3" single exhaust

Thanks for your input and help.

My problem is NOT going into PE mode, but when in PE mode, there is no timing advance is present. I have verified with logs and also on a running engine, I have boosted the PE spark advance 12 degrees so I will hear plenty of pinging if it does work. I did increase the fast PE settings as you suggested without any change in spark advance, but the system does go in and out of PE mode based on TPS.

Just for my edification, "TPS for PE" is for PE mode with delays built in based on other factors. "TPS for fast PE" bypasses those delay factors and puts it into PE mode without question. Correct?

Thanks in advance.

Ted
    Ted Brown
    Anderson, SC
    68 Corvair EFI

Fuel Injected!
    I had the same issue with $0D when not running a knock sensor and bin setup like you have...
    I would try a resistor on the knock input and enable code 43..and retard...you may be able to just alter the min/max KS volts in the bin.

I have an XDF with these added if you need it.
    L4E6A: FCB 160 ; 16 SEC'S. HI VOLTS CK PERIOD
    L4E6B FCB 230 ; 4.5 VDC A/D UPPER VOLTS LMT
    L4E6C FCB 20 ; 0.390 VDC A/D LOWER VOLT LMT
    L4E6D FCB 23 ; 4 DEG, KNK FAIL RETARD
    Last edited by CFI Z51; 08-17-2015 at 09:14 PM.

Made the changes and made no difference at all... but I do now have the knock sensor up and running. I quit using the knock sensor because of faults knocks I get on the corvair engine.... its a little noisey.

Ted
    Ted Brown
    Anderson, SC
    68 Corvair EFI

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by corvairnut View Post
    OK.... I have tried every adjustment that I can find and I still cant get any PE spark advance when in PE mode. I have it on my dash and have verified with the logs that when it enters PE mode, the timing is steady and no advance is added from PE.

Remember, this is the bin that I have added 50 degrees of initial timing to make the offset work (even -
    Isn't their a value for Maximum Spark Advance? If you've added 50 of initial timing, plus whatever else is added, then perhaps you are hitting the max timing and PE won't add any more ???? Maybe the over all max needs to be raised so that PE can do its thing.

Yea... great idea. I have that already in the bin. I pushed the max to 180 degrees just to make sure. Then I put the PE advance plus 60 so advance was at 75 degrees. NOGO again. I am putting it back to a HEI distributor and see what takes place. I have taken new bin file and converted it to my DIS with the same results, so I'm thinking it has something to do with pushing the initial to 50-60 degrees. Hoping it was something simple, but if it is....Im missing it.

Ted
    Ted Brown
    Anderson, SC
    68 Corvair EFI